Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage?

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #1  

dougtrr2

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX24
I have an old pair of safety chaps that I will no longer use. I have thought about draping them over a log and "testing" them with my chainsaw. Other that jamming up the chain, would there be any damage done to the saw? I would hate to bend a chain or sprocket for a silly test. But I would kind like to see first hand how effective they are.

These chaps have been in use for a number of years. There has been some tears and snagging and loss of internal padding. That is why they have been retired.

Doug in SW IA

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #2  
You can see videos of what happens online. Personally, I would not do it with any chainsaw that you plan to use soon. There could be a lot of material to pick out of the clutch area and it could cause damage in my opinion.

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #4  
You can see videos of what happens online. Personally, I would not do it with any chainsaw that you plan to use soon. There could be a lot of material to pick out of the clutch area and it could cause damage in my opinion.

Did you see the warning at :35 seconds into the video regarding chaps and electric/battery chainsaws?

D951DC66-B988-4E77-BEA3-746E8327442D.jpeg

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #5  
I use these Husky branded ones as theres different grades of chaps . As I'am getting older I been thinking about putting them on when I chop wood with my axes and mauls and also once a month when my girlfreind is on the war path ! 😬 btw I picked these Husky's up off CL for 30 bucks new .

Attachments

• thumbnail (9).jpg
    thumbnail (9).jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 119
  • thumbnail (23).jpg
    thumbnail (23).jpg
    845 KB · Views: 118
   / Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #6  
I use these Husky branded ones as theres different grades of chaps . As I'am getting older I been thinking about putting them on when I chop wood with my axes and mauls and also once a month when my girlfreind is on the war path ! 😬 btw I picked these Husky's up off CL for 30 bucks new .
Nice! I picked up a pair this summer and paid about 3 times that. I was at my mother’s house and hadn’t intended to use the saw, so had to go buy chaps. Don’t ask me why I had the saw but no gas, b&c oil, chaps or even saw file. :confused:

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #7  
Chaps are not really designed to prevent cutting through to your skin and bones. They are meant to snag and snarl and stop the blade.

You would be unimpressed with the "results" of your test, UNLESS you are looking for the right thing.

Use a stop watch, for your evaluation. not a cutting depth indicator!

"The only thing modern medicine can do for the wounds inflicted by high speed wood working machinery is.....Stop the bleeding!"

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #8  
Years ago I hit my leg with a Partner 5000, running wide open. Chaps never even slowed the saw; it cut them almost in two, went my jeans, and just started on my knee when I realized it and pulled it off, leaving just a scratch on my kneecap. I cut 3 more trees before realizing what I'd done. I then shut my saw off, walked up to the foreman with chaps in one hand and my saw in the other; all that he said was "See you back at the motel."

I must have used at least 3 of my 9 lives that day.

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage?
Thanks for the input. Okay, hand me my beer back, I will go sit in the corner until my next, not so bright idea.

Doug in SW IA

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #10  
Why dont you give to a young guy that may need some saw chaps? Even if yours have a little damage, still better than none.