SAFETY TOE BOOTS OR NOT.

/ SAFETY TOE BOOTS OR NOT. #121  
Part of the problem is possibly having to go in and out of the house fifty times a day. That makes work boots impractical.

I had a JD 640 Fork Carrier I was welding, fall on my toes wearing running shoes. I still remember the unbelievable pain. I think that was the only time I broke or cracked a bone, in my toe. I probably should have been wearing work boots.

Learned something interesting from the ER Doc the next day. He got a bunsen (sp?) burner and made a straightened paper clip red hot, and poked it through my toe nail, like a hot knife through butter. INSTANTLY relieved the pressure and pain. Easily could have done it at home.

LOL, I knew a guy that actually took his power drill and a small drill bit to do that.

In my youth I wanted cowboy boots.
What a joke when U are flatfooted and wear 12 D, or E!
These days to get a fit I generally only look at 13's and even at that none of those offshore makes go beyond B or C and then ever so often 9's are the biggest size on the shelf (or on line)

BUT, last month I was in Canadian Tire, browsing, and on the shelf is ONE pair winter boots reduced 50% marked size 12.
My name on the tag, LOL.
Dang it all the fit was A1 , yep they came home! (tag said 'made in Canada') heck even a tad loose fit.

Last edited:
   / SAFETY TOE BOOTS OR NOT. #124  
LOL, I knew a guy that actually took his power drill and a small drill bit to do that.

So do I. But instead of a power drill, I used a pin vise to hold the drill bit. More blood squirted out than I expected, but relief was instant. I hadn't heard of the hot poker approach and I wasn't about to stick a needle under my thumbnail - isn't that in the book on torture?

/ SAFETY TOE BOOTS OR NOT. #125  
No, you don't stick the hot needle UNDER the nail, you push it THROUGH the nail in the blackest spot. If the needle is red hot, it goes through very, very quickly and easy, and yes, relief is instant.

So do I. But instead of a power drill, I used a pin vise to hold the drill bit. More blood squirted out than I expected, but relief was instant. I hadn't heard of the hot poker approach and I wasn't about to stick a needle under my thumbnail - isn't that in the book on torture?

/ SAFETY TOE BOOTS OR NOT. #126  
No, you don't stick the hot needle UNDER the nail, you push it THROUGH the nail in the blackest spot. If the needle is red hot, it goes through very, very quickly and easy, and yes, relief is instant.

Yeah. This was years ago before there were forums to consult with folks who'd already been there and done that. What I'd read said under and I wasn't about to do that.

/ SAFETY TOE BOOTS OR NOT. #127  
Yeah that was me, but I also put my wife and her love of shoes to work too. No sense wasting fuel on the tractor pushing snow when the wife can do it for me. (LOL)

It seems to me that the two of you really have fun with everything you do. I'm sure it also affects those around you and makes their life better as well. I wish the best for both of you and I hope your posts here have a positive influence on us as well.

/ SAFETY TOE BOOTS OR NOT. #128  
Got clobbered on the toes while splitting firewood, wearing running shoes yesterday. HURT like heck but not enough to go in and get some boots. Well, actually later I did and it was better to not have to worry about where the wood fell.

/ SAFETY TOE BOOTS OR NOT. #129  
My husband needed a new pair of boots badly. He uses a chainsaw at least every other weekend as well as using the tractor. Unfortunately, he would never buy safety boots because he's frugal and doesn't think he needs safety boots. I bought him some Wolverine boots with a composite toe and said Happy Birthday Honey!!!

He has to wear them now because he hates wasting money. :laughing:

/ SAFETY TOE BOOTS OR NOT. #130  
My wife reminds me that safety gear is cheaper than the medical bill.