Samurai Cutter

/ Samurai Cutter #1  

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
Does anyone have any experience with this cutter? Will it cut up to 1 1/2 hardwood? Is it as heavy duty as the video shows it to be? Thanks kt

/ Samurai Cutter #2  
What the heck are you talking about?

I have never heard of a samurai cutter... it would help to have a link.

/ Samurai Cutter
   / Samurai Cutter #4  
I'd never heard of them; a hydraulically powered sickle bar mower to attach to your FEL bucket. If you have the hydraulics and if that mower is tough enough to stand up to the work, it looks like a great idea. But it sure ain't cheap.

/ Samurai Cutter
Bird, they sent me a price of $1,300 plus shipping. Not cheap, but if it will cut 1 1/2 inch limbs and saplings would seem a good set up. Have not come up with anything else near that price.

If there is another suggestion I am very open to it. kt

/ Samurai Cutter #6  
I sure don't have any suggestions that wouldn't cost even more, and a lot more at that. Give it a try and let us know how it does.;)

/ Samurai Cutter #7  
Does anyone have any experience with this cutter? Will it cut up to 1 1/2 hardwood? Is it as heavy duty as the video shows it to be? Thanks kt
I have one. Inch and a half hard wood is real iffy. The sickle often stalls on stuff that thick unless you run your system relief pressure above 2500PSI. A useful product tho. The mounting bracket is a bit fragile and needs a reinforcement welded in immediately to avoid certain damage in the future that is much harder to fix than prevent.
larry

/ Samurai Cutter
I have one. Inch and a half hard wood is real iffy. The sickle often stalls on stuff that thick unless you run your system relief pressure above 2500PSI. A useful product tho. The mounting bracket is a bit fragile and needs a reinforcement welded in immediately to avoid certain damage in the future that is much harder to fix than prevent.
larry

I did not look back at their site after reading this but thought they ran low pressure or is it just low gpm?

How large do find it will cut reasonable? Will it cut an inch of hardwood ok? It not I need to pass on it. Is the needed reinforcement obvious where it is needed? If it cuts no more than other sickle bar cutters I will pass on it.

It still amazes me to find only one person who has run one. kt

/ Samurai Cutter #9  
I did not look back at their site after reading this but thought they ran low pressure or is it just low gpm?

How large do find it will cut reasonable? Will it cut an inch of hardwood ok? It not I need to pass on it. Is the needed reinforcement obvious where it is needed? If it cuts no more than other sickle bar cutters I will pass on it.

It still amazes me to find only one person who has run one. kt
I cant remember what their site said, but I believe I detected afew things that were not definitive, aka self contradictory. It is definitely low GPM. Virtually any tractor will supply the 3-5 GPM it needs. On a big tractor you would need a restrictor or else just idle the tractor along. I havent tried it on the Mahindra with its 17gpm pump. Id probably have to keep it around 800rpm.

At 2400 psi you will have no problem with live, green oak an inch diameter. Dry seasoned oak that size would give some occassional problems with the new unit. I tried it on various stuff when brand new 1st installed, but havent used it a lot to tune it up good. Wife thinks its quite useful. I think it may become a little more powerful as it breaks in. I also want to try using Slip Plate aerosol graphite on the teeth to reduce friction because the teeth wedge hard together as it cuts thru a branch. Combine these with another 400psi and I think it will come up to the 1.5 inch range.

The reinforement is needed on the back side of the bucket clamp opposite the clamp bolts. Its a long open triangular section that reacts against the bolt force well but is very weak if stressed sideways. You bump the blade sideways [an innocuous anavoidable accident] and the triangle tip skews sideways leaving the bolt nothing to push against. Samurai falls off. If you buy one you can pm me and well talk.
larry

/ Samurai Cutter #10  
It does look like a pretty neat bank mower.

From their web site: FAQ: "This unit only requires 3.3 GPM at 200-psi max to operate properly."
(Pretty sure they left out a digit in there somewhere. 2000 is probably the number)
Specs:
"Hydraulic Motor 3.0 cu in/rev. High Torque
Hydraulic oil flow requirements 3.3 gal/min at operating speed of 250 rpm
Hydraulic Pressure Less than 500 psi during normal operation "
(I'm guessing "normal operation" doesn't include the hardwood thicket.)

"It still amazes me to find only one person who has run one. kt "

A hearty THANK YOU to Larry would be much more appropriate.

Brad