Saved from the scrap

/ Saved from the scrap #21  
This is probably good advice. Not knowing your boss, he may be glad for you but there's a chance he may not like the idea that you got it running.

It all depends on the boss. My old boss would bend over backwards to help out her employees. Including allowing them to have left over materials from jobs which were complete and free use of equipment when they needed it. When I left, she gifted their old digger/derrick boom truck to me for use on the farm. It's old and tired, but should last me a long time.

/ Saved from the scrap #22  
My last boss threw out three managed network switches (~$800 each at the time). I asked if he minded if I took them. He said sure go ahead, what do I want with three broken switches. Power supply from one + motherboard from the second + RJ45 ports from the third = one working switch. I came in Monday and said something about it. He told me he wanted it back. I told him he could pry it from my cold, dead hands.

We went through a lot of equipment every year as a tech/phone company and he never threw out another single piece of equipment again while I worked there. Not one single thing. We had broken phone equipment from the 70s that no one needed and he just kept stacking it. Another employee told me they threw a bunch of it out after I quit five years later.

/ Saved from the scrap #23  
I'm surprised they didn't ask you to start fixing the stuff.. :)

soundguy

/ Saved from the scrap
I'm surprised they didn't ask you to start fixing the stuff.. :)

soundguy

I have made a good living at fixing stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Saved from the scrap #25  
I'm surprised they didn't ask you to start fixing the stuff.
When your ego is too big to fit through a barn door its better to waste company money than to be shown up by an employee....

/ Saved from the scrap #26  
ah.. one of those....

soundguy

/ Saved from the scrap
When your ego is too big to fit through a barn door its better to waste company money than to be shown up by an employee....

I am on the managment side here. I have been out of a service truck for about 15 years.

/ Saved from the scrap #28  
kevinj, I wasn't suggesting all management is that way. Heck I'm management now.

/ Saved from the scrap
kevinj, I wasn't suggesting all management is that way. Heck I'm management now.

Thats fine. The issue is we sent the machine out to a reputable shop as an insurance claim and this is what we ended up with. We do not employ engine mechanics as we are a pipefitting shop so in our field and shop people there are no mechanics. I used to be a mechanic in a previous life.

The repair estimate was what the machine is worth.