Saving Money as Prices Increase

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #71  
24.5 last month cost per kW at the hospital all in includes taxes and fees and power is discounted.

SF Bay Area

More for residential after you blow through the first tier and higher prices in the works blamed on solar installs.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #72  
Just out of curiosity, how much does power cost in your area?

In our county we pay our PUD $0.95 per day basic charge, plus $0.06755 per kilowatt hour.
DF7C78B5-A833-4552-9D0F-8E6F4BF803E5.jpeg

Seven days a week, same time of use. Other rates have higher off peak, lower peak (as in $0.42kWh), but close, but then there are other charges just to be connected to the grid, etc.

All the best,

Peter

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #73  
Do those actually move any air? My BIL has one, but it doesn't seem to do much.

ours directs the air to the side where the main fan misses, it is gentle but does make a difference, peltier effect, same as the solid state coolers and heaters except it works in reverse applying a heat or cold source generates electricity.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #74  
View attachment 719933
Seven days a week, same time of use. Other rates have higher off peak, lower peak (as in $0.42kWh), but close, but then there are other charges just to be connected to the grid, etc.

All the best,

Peter
Kind of shoots holes in the "charge EVs at night when the rates are low" unless you can set a timer not to begin until after midnight.
Curiously, how common are variable rates out your way? Not aware of any such thing here, certainly not the rule.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #75  
Kind of shoots holes in the "charge EVs at night when the rates are low" unless you can set a timer not to begin until after midnight.
Curiously, how common are variable rates out your way? Not aware of any such thing here, certainly not the rule.
Yes, the car has the electrical rates programmed in and only charges overnight when the rates are low, starting at midnight during the winter. During the summer, I try to charge the car during peak solar. Meanwhile, we put in batteries as a resiliency tool against fire driven power outages and winter storms, and they provide enough power reserves never to use peak rate solar summer or winter. Funnily enough, our baseline usage is so low that adding batteries doubled our baseline draw as each 5kW battery (13.4kWh) draws ~75W constantly.

In principle, I should also time shift when the well pump runs, but I haven't yet, though it is on the do list. That power is super expensive, as the cost is dominated by the fixed cost of demand charge costs, making the actual power cost around $4./kWh (not a typo!). Moral being time shifting doesn't buy me much.

The trend here is for entirely time of use (TOU) rates, as the TOU rates do better reflect the underlying cost of power. I think that there are a few older tiered rates, but those are being phased out.

There aren't any of the Texas style "free nights and weekends" here. I would be heating water and / or freezing big blocks of ice overnight if that were the case.

All the best,

Peter

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #76  
Good thread, despite the sidetracks.

Don't count on an inflation bubble, this one has legs....

If we manage to get the retirement place built, we will grow things in the garden to supplement our grocery bills. Wifey wants chickens, so we will have eggs. Not much savings there other than fewer trips to the store.

We both have skills we can use as consultants if needed. The way they are paying right now, we can probably put in some hours at a number of local joints to supplement. I have been paid to write before and could, perhaps go down that road.

I grew up poor and in a frugal home, wife grew up poorer, but without the frugality. It does not get truly cold in Texas, so jackets and such can reduce the need for heat. The rare blast like we had last year is nothing compared to winters in So. Dak. Summer is a bigger concern because heat kills and you can only shed so many clothes.

As to the CDL thing, you could drive a school bus and, at least around here, they would pay you to get it. I avoided coaching here in Texas because many school districts expect coaches to get a CDL to drive the bus. I have no interest in having a CDL.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #77  
Good thread, despite the sidetracks.

Don't count on an inflation bubble, this one has legs....

If we manage to get the retirement place built, we will grow things in the garden to supplement our grocery bills. Wifey wants chickens, so we will have eggs. Not much savings there other than fewer trips to the store.

We both have skills we can use as consultants if needed. The way they are paying right now, we can probably put in some hours at a number of local joints to supplement. I have been paid to write before and could, perhaps go down that road.

I grew up poor and in a frugal home, wife grew up poorer, but without the frugality. It does not get truly cold in Texas, so jackets and such can reduce the need for heat. The rare blast like we had last year is nothing compared to winters in So. Dak. Summer is a bigger concern because heat kills and you can only shed so many clothes.

As to the CDL thing, you could drive a school bus and, at least around here, they would pay you to get it. I avoided coaching here in Texas because many school districts expect coaches to get a CDL to drive the bus. I have no interest in having a CDL.

The School bus driving offers insurance but aside from that the take home pay is terrible. I wouldn’t drive a school bus for a 6 figure salary though.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #78  
Bear in mind that while a resistive electric heater is 100 percent efficient (actually between 95 and 99 percent in the real world), a heat pump produces up to three times the energy it consumes because it transfers rather than creates heat. You may use a small heater to warm up a specific area, or to try and slow heat pump cycling, but you are probably not saving energy. I have a geothermal heat pump and it produces 4 or 5 times the heat that could be generated with just electricity... But it cost more to buy and install. It has drastically reduced my heating and cooling bills - and gives me free hot water all summer. For me the higher installation cost was quickly paid off and we now enjoy lower bills. Oh, I do have a wood stove and an inexhaustible supply of firewood (I own some woodland and folks cut on shares), so we are good there anyway.

As for dealing with rising prices, we are simply more careful with what we buy at the grocery store, and drive an energy efficient car - which we already had. As someone retired on fixed income, I also make sure to maintain my tractors and other equipment so I don't need to replace anything. If I need something by way of machinery, I go used. You can get some good stuff cheap - and without waiting.

We don't give up special things like traveling to see the grandkids or eating out, we just plan for it and make it work. But, then again, we lived through the steep inflation of the 1970s and survived.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #79  
Bear in mind that while a resistive electric heater is 100 percent efficient (actually between 95 and 99 percent in the real world), a heat pump produces up to three times the energy it consumes because it transfers rather than creates heat. You may use a small heater to warm up a specific area, or to try and slow heat pump cycling, but you are probably not saving energy. I have a geothermal heat pump and it produces 4 or 5 times the heat that could be generated with just electricity... But it cost more to buy and install. It has drastically reduced my heating and cooling bills - and gives me free hot water all summer. For me the higher installation cost was quickly paid off and we now enjoy lower bills. Oh, I do have a wood stove and an inexhaustible supply of firewood (I own some woodland and folks cut on shares), so we are good there anyway.

As for dealing with rising prices, we are simply more careful with what we buy at the grocery store, and drive an energy efficient car - which we already had. As someone retired on fixed income, I also make sure to maintain my tractors and other equipment so I don't need to replace anything. If I need something by way of machinery, I go used. You can get some good stuff cheap - and without waiting.

We don't give up special things like traveling to see the grandkids or eating out, we just plan for it and make it work. But, then again, we lived through the steep inflation of the 1970s and survived.
I realize that. However, a heat pump is thousands of dollars. My oil filled radiators cost me $10 at a yard sale, the external thermostat cost me around $50. At 7$/month to run them, I would be a long time paying for that heat pump. ;)

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #80  
The School bus driving offers insurance but aside from that the take home pay is terrible. I wouldn’t drive a school bus for a 6 figure salary though.
Haha...I hear you. I teach and I want no part of being a driver. The idea was just for someone who was concerned about cost of obtaining a CDL and /or getting experience. Pay is always a factor, but in my case I passed up more money to make a difference. For some kids, a friendly bus driver does that, too.