Saving Money as Prices Increase

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #111  
24.5 last month cost per kW at the hospital all in includes taxes and fees and power is discounted.

SF Bay Area

More for residential after you blow through the first tier and higher prices in the works blamed on solar installs.
Hanging out here, I've caught glimpses of your (really cool) collection of vintage vehicles.

How are you stocked for bicycles ?

24.5 cents US is the discount rate ? Ouch.

Or was that dollars ? :oops:

Rgds, D.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #112  
Yep... dollars and cents as I cost each month.

Not much on bicycles unless candy apple red Schwinn Stingray counts?

It took sometime but SF is officially highest price gallon of gas. Always thought it would be Death Valley or remote Hawaii.

According to the news it is possible to now pay $6 a gallon here.

The Rover gets 11 mpg and the 2001 Corolla 40 mpg.

I do have my motorcycle license so might be an option?

I'm grid tied at home and each year received a nice little check for a few hundred dollars and that is now changed as the utility has figured out a way to pay almost nothing per kW...

See... it's no longer the cost of generation but distribution... interesting how that works...

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #113  
Yes below zero F it's called Geothermal Heat-Pump!
Air source heat-pump not likely.
Yeah, I can see a geothermal HP working (at least somewhat) in a cold climate, air source not so much. Doesn't resistance heating kick in below 30° or so?

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #114  
Cost of Distribution has become significant.

Electrical Utilities used to just Get It Done here, at much lower rates. User-Pay is the buzzword that's been popular for a long time..... unfortunately, shifting the pain there enables other behaviour; shoddy management practices just being one.

Close to home (like your grandparents ur) allows you potentially to manage things yourself..... Wood is one option, if you live rural.

For Power, you'll see some examples on TBN and elsewhere of the classic path to going off-gird in remote areas..... once the line-in cost quote from the Utility shows up, all of a sudden totally off-grid starts looking better.

I recall one thread on here.... owner/builder got "irritated" with the Utility's "You can't pull that off" attitude........ "Hold my Soldering Iron, and Watch This" was his answer. Result was a fantastic off-grid system, @ or below that Line-In cost.

Big $ upfront to put that ^ in place, so not for everyone. Good suggestions/practices in this thread - I do many of the same, but not all....

Rgds, D.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #115  
So this morning I have two longtime vendors tell me they are leaving with homes in Escrow...

Both plan to be totally relocated out if state before year end to avoid having to file 2022 State tax returns.

Consistently it's one or both of these two reasons: with one of the two saving money by moving to a lower cost area.

This week's destinations are Texas, Idaho and Nevada... (From California)

What has me befuddled is not a single one has had any problems selling their homes at a nice gain and almost all are selling to over-bids with one I posted recently at 50% over.

Sadly both of my newest neighbors have already experienced smash and grabs in their new driveways...

One a contractor losing power tools when he came home for lunch pried out of his utility body truck and the new lady up the street Prius window smashed losing a jacket in the back seat.

Relocating to lower cost area is one way some are saving as prices increase while capitalizing on increasing prices...

Last edited:
   / Saving Money as Prices Increase #116  
We all have personal budgets to consider, but at a much-higher level, the arithmetic is the same..... Musk wasn't the first, nor will he be the last to leave Cali for business reasons.

Theft happens everywhere, but the Bay Area makes the news even here. Zero consequences for Bad Behaviour.... not a good feedback loop IMO. Sad.

Much of the world uses motorcycles for daily transportation. That's less common Can/USA, but spiking fuel costs may have more people considering that option. My 500CC street bike (paid $5k CAD New) gets 4L/100km or better; way more affordable for many, than a hybrid car/truck.

Cali and much of the SW has great year round riding too :cool:. My next bike...... leaning towards a 300cc dual-sport - would make for a great urban runabout (not my intent), in an area like The Bay, while still getting good fuel mileage.

A friend was telling me about a mechanic he worked with here, who rode his GoldWing pretty much year-round. That's definitely not Normal here, and I shudder to think what Winter Salt did to that bike....

Save On !

Rgds, D.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #117  
Yeah, I can see a geothermal HP working (at least somewhat) in a cold climate, air source not so much. Doesn't resistance heating kick in below 30° or so?
We've had our geothermal for 12 years. Resistance has never kicked in, down to -20 F.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #118  
Yes below zero F it's called Geothermal Heat-Pump!
Air source heat-pump not likely.
Perhaps you should do a little research !

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #119