Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #211  
here we go
20220703_130012.jpg
20220710_141710.jpg

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #214  
Personally, I'd turn the blocks the other way, crossway to the mill deck and run the 4x4's that way too.

That's the way mines been set up for more than 20 years without problems...

SR
Yeah. I was thinking that after seeing image after image with folks having their mills set up that way. I'll need some more cinder blocks and potentially more lumber. 4x4 are still a bit narrow I think. This is a temp setup which is fairly central to the property. I'm hoping to get it up on a platform and under some cover in the not too distant future. Definitely before the snow comes.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #215  
One block high with a cross 4x4 works for me, I see more lumber than you need there now.

The blocks don't need to be less than 5 or 6' apart either, at least mine aren't.

Don't over think it, get milling!

SR

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #216  
My mill's rails are on 6x6" pt, with 4x6"pt laying flat underneath the 6x6" in 4 places. What I find when I turn max size logs after the second time and a flat turns onto the bed, the rails sometimes scoot back a bit. Small logs, no problems. These large logs started at 24" dia on large end. I have to use a pevey to turn with all my might. So I would not suggest concrete blocks in line with the rails. Jon

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #217  
Yeah. I was thinking that after seeing image after image with folks having their mills set up that way. I'll need some more cinder blocks and potentially more lumber. 4x4 are still a bit narrow I think. This is a temp setup which is fairly central to the property. I'm hoping to get it up on a platform and under some cover in the not too distant future. Definitely before the snow comes.
I need to change this up I am sure.

Last edited:
   / Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #218  
One block high with a cross 4x4 works for me, I see more lumber than you need there now.

The blocks don't need to be less than 5 or 6' apart either, at least mine aren't.

Don't over think it, get milling!

SR
Are you using the feet? Wouldn't the cross 4x4's need to be where the feet are?

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #220  
Are you using the feet? Wouldn't the cross 4x4's need to be where the feet are?
NO feet and no problems, you can use cross 4x4's or not. Here's mine,

IMG-1847-S.jpg

My mill today has a cement block with a 2x on it and leveled side to side with wood shims. a mill does not have to be level end to end. Unless you have a very weak track, you don't need all that many blocks either.

With good band maintenance I can keep my lumber within 1/32"...

SR