Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #91  
Re: Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few e

I haven't looked at the new models, but FWIW I used to have a F250 but bought a used RAM about a year ago to get the Cummins diesel engine. I got the 5.9L (last build in 2007 before the newer 6.X was introduced), to avoid the pollution controls in the later models which are getting so complicated that they are not reliable (I have nothing against pollution controls per se but it is getting beyond the point of what is rational and works). Although I got it mainly for the Cummins engine the rest of the truck is great as well. I hope to keep this running for another 15 years like I did the F250.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #92  
I may be too "old school" for my own good but give me a belt driven powersteering pump. Electric driven just seems like more stuff to go wrong.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #93  
pjbci said:
I may be too "old school" for my own good but give me a belt driven powersteering pump. Electric driven just seems like more stuff to go wrong.
I don't know, every used vehicle I've owned eventually had some sort of power steering leak. Never had a blower fan, window motor, or any other electric motor go. Only time will tell and I'm typically weary about new models and changes.

You know what comes next, hands free parking assist then a truck that uses the rear backup camera to automatically backup the truck and align the hitch. ;-)

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #94  
Soundguy said:
hmm.. wonder how well the electric assist works, vs how durable it is, compaired to a conventional pump based ps system...

The current F150 is using it. Im not sure if it is on all models or just some. It is a conventional rack and an electric motor drive a worm gear that provides the assist. Its been common on cars for awhile. I think Honda started using it in 1998 or 1999 on a couple cars. As a tech I never saw issues with any electric racks. There are alot less parts to wear out, it weighs less and increases fuel economy by removing load on the engine. It frees up under hood space and allows power assist even if the motor dies. It is going to replace hydraulic assist systems eventually.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #95  
Dmace said:
I don't know, every used vehicle I've owned eventually had some sort of power steering leak. Never had a blower fan, window motor, or any other electric motor go. Only time will tell and I'm typically weary about new models and changes.

Good point.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #96  
Re: Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few e

hmm.. wonder how well the electric assist works, vs how durable it is, compaired to a conventional pump based ps system...

GM and some of the others have been using it for a few years. I think its just as reliable as any other system.

As for conventional systems, I have never had a issue with any other then the on one of my tractors. Never a leak, drip, bad pump, bad rack, bad hose, anything. Guess I am just lucky.

Chris

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #97  

GM and some of the others have been using it for a few years. I think its just as reliable as any other system.

As for conventional systems, I have never had a issue with any other then the on one of my tractors. Never a leak, drip, bad pump, bad rack, bad hose, anything. Guess I am just lucky.

Chris

Me neither on drivers...Just really, really old classic trucks and cars...To be expected in that case. And no big deal in that case either.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #98  

I would be anxious to see the new 2500 trucks in that trim with the upgraded Cummins (reportedly at 395/815 HP and torque with urea infusion). I looked seriously at a 2500 longhorn that was a beautiful truck outside but the interior was a little over the top for my taste. If they could tone that down a little and upgrade the power to make the Cummins competitive with the other two manufacturers I would take a serious look. I like a truck that has a solid ride and quick steering and the Ram had both. It was just too slow though in the end for me to buy.

John M

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #99  
   / Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #100  

Me neither on drivers...Just really, really old classic trucks and cars...To be expected in that case. And no big deal in that case either.

Lordy, I wish I'd have been driveing some of those back when.:)

Maybe the cloud over me was different?