Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #71  
CLinton_in_FL said:
I will go ahead and comment since I have not on such a topic yet. Here is what I know, I wouldn't take a chance on it simply because of history and build quality. I come from thinking, anything will last if you take care of it, but from what I have read and seen in the past 15 years, the quality is not there yet. I am sure it is getting better, but not up to the other two (or three if you want to count the tundra)
So which "other two" have "history and build quality"?
GM has made good trucks but interior quality is bland and cheap compared to the other trucks plus an old design and Ford hasn't had a good reliable truck engine in 9 years...
I'd say quality wise they are very close but GM and Dodge have good proven engines that Ford does not and for interior design and materials, Dodge has the newest design and material quality equal to Ford. Of course design is more of a personal preference.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #72  
Back on topic...

The new 8 speed auto still has the ERS (Electronic Range Selector) but the buttons are on the steering wheel instead of the column shifter as in previous models including other manufacturers. This makes much more sense!
http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodge/2013-ram-powertrain.html
shifter-knob.jpg

Also Chrysler is stating a 20% increase in fuel mileage for both V6 and HEMI V8's. That would make the more powerful HEMI V8 (395hp/407lb.ft) rated at around 24 mpg highway. :thumbsup:
Of course, we'll see in Fall 2012 when it's released.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #73  
Re: Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few e

Why ZF? They give up on building automatics?

I hope GM is testing and releases an 8 speed auto, will mae a differance on the gas bill!

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #74  
WilliamBos said:
Why ZF? They give up on building automatics?

I hope GM is testing and releases an 8 speed auto, will mae a differance on the gas bill!
While they are making good transmissions now, I'm sure the cost to develop a new one just isn't feasible when they already have a top company like ZF making 8 speeds for their autos.

I too am looking forward to what GM releases for 2013/2014.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #75  
Re: Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few e

Back on topic...

Also Chrysler is stating a 20% increase in fuel mileage for both V6 and HEMI V8's. That would make the more powerful HEMI V8 (395hp/407lb.ft) rated at around 24 mpg highway. :thumbsup:
Of course, we'll see in Fall 2012 when it's released.

If you look at the large increase in the first five gear ratios, you can see where they could easily run a much taller rear end. Something like a 3.2X or even 2.X, this would make the overall gear ratio taller at higher transmission gears which will lead to higher mpg's.
That HEMI 4x4 gets 19mpg with a 3.73 rear end, now install a 2.95 in there you'll see a huge increase. Just like a 4.10 vs 3.55.

The current ford transmission has a ratio range of 4.17:1 for first to .69:1 for 6th. Their highest rear end offered is 3.15. Do you really think they will offer a 2.95 rear end? Also are they going to reprogram MDS because it currently doesn't work above about 60 mph on flat land. I see an improvement in mileage but am still doubting 24 mpg.

These drive shafts are going to get big with these transmissions coming in the future.

Jeff

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #76  

I just wonder ... can you buy a 3/4 ton in any model with a v-6 ... 4 speed with a granny gear, vinyl bench seats, no carpet, no headlined, A.M. radio and choose if you want a/c or not??

Also regular cab???

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #77  
jejeosborne said:
The current ford transmission has a ratio range of 4.17:1 for first to .69:1 for 6th. Their highest rear end offered is 3.15. Do you really think they will offer a 2.95 rear end? Also are they going to reprogram MDS because it currently doesn't work above about 60 mph on flat land.
The 8 speed Charger has a 2.65 or 3.06 rear end available. Granted this is a truck but I'm sure it will be a low 3.x at least. The RAM 8 speed will have a 4.71:1 1st gear which is a quite a bit lower than the Ford 4.17:1 plus the RAM's 2nd gear is only 3.14:1 vs Ford's 2.34:1, this will allow the taller rear end. The HEMI is going to be a Beast with this transmission, I can't wait!

I've read on Dodge forums some using the MDS at highway speeds up to 70 mph but of course that's flat land. 4 cylinders making less than 200hp pushing a 6000lb brick is not easy.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #78  

I just wonder ... can you buy a 3/4 ton in any model with a v-6 ... 4 speed with a granny gear, vinyl bench seats, no carpet, no headlined, A.M. radio and choose if you want a/c or not??

Also regular cab???

That truck does not exist! Nothing less than a 6 speed auto. I do wish GM would offer the Allison behind the gassers.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #79  
Dmace said:
The 8 speed Charger has a 2.65 or 3.06 rear end available. Granted this is a truck but I'm sure it will be a low 3.x at least. The RAM 8 speed will have a 4.71:1 1st gear which is a quite a bit lower than the Ford 4.17:1 plus the RAM's 2nd gear is only 3.14:1 vs Ford's 2.34:1, this will allow the taller rear end. The HEMI is going to be a Beast with this transmission, I can't wait!

I've read on Dodge forums some using the MDS at highway speeds up to 70 mph but of course that's flat land. 4 cylinders making less than 200hp pushing a 6000lb brick is not easy.

That is my point. Many on the dodge forums are also not able to hold Eco at 55 mph. Put that high gear rear end in the axle and how will it help mpg if not able to use 4 cylinders.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #80  
blueriver said:

Also regular cab???

Its simple really. Unfortunately the demand for such trucks isnt there. Now before a bunch of people start saying "I would buy one", look at the number of base level trucks people actually do buy. Most of them sold are to fleets and they dont even want manual trans anymore. Plus if you cant accelerate up a mountain pulling a full load the truck is considered weak and would be ripped apart on the internet and in magazine reviews. I believe with some base trucks you can get vinyl seats/floor but the take rate is almost non existent outside of fleet sales. Customer expectations today wont allow the interior noise of something without a headliner and the expectation is at least for FM radios as well. The reality of the situation is people who buy new want bells and whistles and that is who the manufacturers make vehicles for. People who buy new. Just look at all the King Ranchs and Long Horn trucks running around.