Scoring ammunition from out of state

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state
yep ,hard time finding .410 in Louisiana, but most pawn shops that handle guns could receive ammo and send if they are the friendly type they may do it just for shipping charges. I have a .22 and plenty ammo but I prefer using my .17 hmr the bullet is .177 size but it's hauling at 2500 fps and if the scope is sighted it don't miss at 100 yrds whereas a pellet rifle will never be that accurate or powerful, but ammo in all calibers are most of the time hard to get. I purchased two nitro piston air rifles and up close fifty feet you will be pleased but beyond that it will disappoint but it's like a firearm you still have to find the ammo that it shoots best. But yeah if you take a pellet rifle and shoot a few thousand rounds you will find your aim getting where you want it and they are fun, I got the Crosman vantage with open sights it's the least costly and actually functions better without a scope, I will never get another pellet rifle that can only be used with a scope.
Thanks - I have been doing a bit of research on air rifles - I will check this one out.

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #32  
Thanks - I have been doing a bit of research on air rifles - I will check this one out.
yeah the nitro piston replaced the old spring and suppose to shoot just as good in cold or hot weather and last in most cases years.

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #33  
Whoops.......a squirrel hugger. :rolleyes:
Never understood that sentiment, but then again I suppose most people likely never learned what happens when an animal population exceeds the habitat's carrying capacity (and a crop should not be considered part of that habitat).

Personally I'm of the mind that a high speed piece of lead is far more humane of an ending than starvation ...but perhaps that's just me. 🤷‍♂️

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #34  
Never understood that sentiment, but then again I suppose most people likely never learned what happens when an animal population exceeds the habitat's carrying capacity (and a crop should not be considered part of that habitat).

Personally I'm of the mind that a high speed piece of lead is far more humane of an ending than starvation ...but perhaps that's just me. 🤷‍♂️
Not just you, had / have a wild hog over population as with many States, it's so bad I HAD a corn patch 100'x160' in a few hours them out took it down to stubble that was the first sign on my property. Eased out the next night full moon walked right up On four corn stalk in their mouth them four died from lead poison right there, they come back for the stubble. Then they started going after my pears on the tree trying to cut it down with their tusk, they dead. Hog will eat anything turtle eggs, snakes, dig up rabbit holes eat the babies etc., Too many of any animal will cause great destruction in one form or another food ,property, equipment, and self. Three years I took / shot around twelve wild hog on my property for now they moved on but guess what, during the time the hogs eat everything from other animals now the others animals are eating everything they can find. Before them hogs I never had an issue with deer eating potato plant tops, okra tops, tomato tops, on and on. We have a duty to thin out over population of some animals or many will starve both animal and human.

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #35  
We have 120 acre cattle farm in East TX. Hogs are a real problem. They have destroyed maybe 5-10 acres of hay meadow just rooting for food. That is summer and winter cattle food lost. No ammo issues in TX. We see em, they be bacon.

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state

For years we sort of ignored the problem - tried wrapping trees with tin, totally fenced blueberry bushes with chicken wire (sides and top and bottom) 8 feet high, and on and on. We had almond trees where we did not get a single almond (not kidding) and the pecans were a constant battle. Wife unhappy because they dug up her flower beds- for the bulbs apparently - she tied chicken wire around those with limited success. We did not want to use poison. Finally it got so crazy we decided about 18 month ago to get serious and start shooting them - and trying traps. Still learning how to maximize trapping effectiveness, but we are thinning them out by shooting them. Sort of like the Johnny Horton song. . .with a few changes: We fired our guns but the squirrels kepta commin, but there weren't nare as many as there was a while ago, we fired once more and they began a hiddin. . . etc.

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #37  
Ahhhh, big toughs guys, eh? Lemme see ya' do this !!!! Nyuk,. Nyuk, Nyuk~!!!!!
IMG_1082.JPG

Or spend the winter in a tree. Can Ya? Huh? Betch'a can't! No TVs in here either.

And hey, we got families to feed too!!

e2fc23c2af0c11ee6dd23b00af8d06f0.jpg

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #38  
For years we sort of ignored the problem - tried wrapping trees with tin, totally fenced blueberry bushes with chicken wire (sides and top and bottom) 8 feet high, and on and on. We had almond trees where we did not get a single almond (not kidding) and the pecans were a constant battle. Wife unhappy because they dug up her flower beds- for the bulbs apparently - she tied chicken wire around those with limited success. We did not want to use poison. Finally it got so crazy we decided about 18 month ago to get serious and start shooting them - and trying traps. Still learning how to maximize trapping effectiveness, but we are thinning them out by shooting them. Sort of like the Johnny Horton song. . .with a few changes: We fired our guns but the squirrels kepta commin, but there weren't nare as many as there was a while ago, we fired once more and they began a hiddin. . . etc.
Whatever the type of trap you use be sure to check it frequently - not just for the humaneness, but to ensure they don't escape.

While visiting family around Memorial day I heard an story from an uncle who was attempting to trap some squirrels in a live trap. At one point he apparently caught one, but in the time it took him to finish breakfast, put on shoes and start walking out the door another squirrel had shown up, and rolled the trap on it's side. That in turn took the weight of the trap door and permitted the squirrel in the trap to escape .....and so he ended up watching them both run off as he was walking out the door.

I've heard that snare pole traps can be rather effective; particularly set up with multiple snares on one pole. Apparently one gets caught and others come to investigate and also get caught ...haven't tried it myself though as I haven't had to deal with massive numbers of squirrels (cats & dogs may also help keep them in check once the populations get manageable).

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #39  
So I was going to look for a picture of a squirrel plague/invasion, but it turns out that google decided that news about squirrels testing positive for the bubonic plague in CO was the best result for "squirrel plague" and "plague of squirrels" o_O

With things like that in the news is it any wonder why squirrels are also called "tree rats"? :rolleyes: ...granted they can be about as smart and cause about as much damage as real rats too (have to respect them for that).

But apparently they're all fun, and cuteness for some people - at least until the squirrels come for their nuts...... 😇

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #40  
We haven’t seen many squirrels this season - but, have seen more coyotes than normal.

I assume coyotes eat squirrels - or at least keep them in the trees.

MoKelly