Scoring ammunition from out of state

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #41  
Ahhhh, big toughs guys, eh? Lemme see ya' do this !!!! Nyuk,. Nyuk, Nyuk~!!!!!
IMG_1082.JPG

Or spend the winter in a tree. Can Ya? Huh? Betch'a can't! No TVs in here either.

And hey, we got families to feed too!!

e2fc23c2af0c11ee6dd23b00af8d06f0.jpg
human babies are cute too but generally don't start eating you out of house or home until the teens but at that point hopefully they will be leaving soon. That Fox squirrel is a perfect shot, I mean if there's a good enough reason like eating em.

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #42  
For years we sort of ignored the problem - but we are thinning them out by shooting them.
The CA legislature needs to pass an Indigenous Animals Act. The squirrels have rights.

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #43  
We have 120 acre cattle farm in East TX. Hogs are a real problem. They have destroyed maybe 5-10 acres of hay meadow just rooting for food. That is summer and winter cattle food lost. No ammo issues in TX. We see em, they be bacon.
still have some in the freezer but around seven or eight I buried because I don't clean animals in hot weather. Smoked a thirty pounded last week give it the only rubbing on it will ever receive, spices.

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state
So I was going to look for a picture of a squirrel plague/invasion, but it turns out that google decided that news about squirrels testing positive for the bubonic plague in CO was the best result for "squirrel plague" and "plague of squirrels" o_O

With things like that in the news is it any wonder why squirrels are also called "tree rats"? :rolleyes: ...granted they can be about as smart and cause about as much damage as real rats too (have to respect them for that).

But apparently they're all fun, and cuteness for some people - at least until the squirrels come for their nuts...... 😇
Here our squirrels are ground squirrels - holes everywhere - it used to be almost like a prairie dog town, but less so now that we are reducing the population.

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #46  
Here our squirrels are ground squirrels - holes everywhere - it used to be almost like a prairie dog town, but less so now that we are reducing the population.
Well that explains the tree squirrel rules. Before you start buying ammo from out of state, you might want to consider the fact that CA requires non lead for hunting. Don't know if this applies, but would be something to look into before trying to purchase ammo from the nearby states.
I am not sure what I would do if I were in your shoes, getting eat out of house and home by a critter that I can only shoot a couple months a year.
David from jax

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #47  
Wife use to lose most of her strawberries every year to squirrels. Tried netting but they would get under it. Ya heard of shootin fish in a barrel, try squirrels in a cage
When I retired i started allowing our dog to stay outside her run all day. Squirrels dont hang around now.
Squirrels are easy, but Im thinking of going thermo nuclear on crows in my corn patch. Its down at the other property. So not there to watch. Pulling up the sprouts.

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #48  
Haven't had to deal with those before ..... though my first inclination would be to try techniques/traps for gopher control.

It also looks like the University of California has some (fairly sane) suggestions for ground squirrel control: Ground Squirrel Management Guidelines--UC IPM

The chart of which methods are most effective by month/season would seem rather handy.

/ Scoring ammunition from out of state #49  
Are there other alternatives?
Here ya go ... Pressurized Exhaust Rodent Controller. No need for .410 ammo. Can wipe out 3.5 acres of squirrels per hour ... :LOL: