Rear Blade Scraper Blade Choice

/ Scraper Blade Choice #1  

3Ts

Elite Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
I'm looking at a scraper blade purchase. There aren't any used ones around so I talked to the dealers within 50 miles. My choices are Land Pride RBT3596 or a Rhino 950 (8' blade). None of the dealers have one and it will have to be ordered. It seems the differences amount to the following:
- The mouldboard thickness is 1/16" thicker on the 950
- The 950 weighs ~100# more
- The rhino 950 costs about $1,000. more!

To me there isn't much of a choice to be made. I don't see the justification for the extra $1k. So, before I spend my money, is there any reason I should get the Rhino instead of the Land Pride?

The blade will have a tail wheel and full hydraulics. I've asked about cushion valves and was told they usually only put 1 on the offset cylinder :confused: I would think the angle cylinder needs one also. So, those of you who have one, what do you think about the cushion valves? I have mostly clay, gravel, tree roots and an occasional rock about football size.

/ Scraper Blade Choice #2  
You should have a crossover relief valve on the angle cylinder. If you strike a solid object you can bend the cylinder rod, blow a hose, or bend something on the blade or 3PH.

/ Scraper Blade Choice #3  
I have Woods RB72 and like it a lot...great for ditching.

/ Scraper Blade Choice #4  
The Rhino 950 is rated for much more horsepower and weight.
As far as the cushion valve they may figure that the offset cushion will protect the blade most of the time.
For the offset not to be cushioning the angle the offset cylinder would need to be completely retracted and the
blade loading would have to be in the direction of the offset.

/ Scraper Blade Choice #5  
I have a Woods RB96.60. Love it. 20181127_173131.jpeg20181127_173119.jpeg20181203_140453.jpeg

/ Scraper Blade Choice #6  
I have the RBT 3596. I used it behind my industrial Deere 210C skip loader spreading crushed limestone around my parking lot. It's Cat 2 with down pressure, and the blade seems tough enough to handle it. I don't have the tail wheel, but see where it could be handy. Mine has no reliefs on the cylinders, I don't know if it should or not, and the dealer that I bought it from (lloyd miller new holland) doesn't know either. I should have bought from the Kabota dealer...

/ Scraper Blade Choice #7  
Maybe hyped up on too much coffee right now...It would be really neat to fab up a little box scraper for my small garden tractor JD L120. Maybe 30" wide x 12" high and a long hydraulic self pumper to raise & lower it.

Ha ha...then I really would need to upgrade the trans to a K66 to handle the extra work.

/ Scraper Blade Choice #8  
I'm looking at a scraper blade purchase.
I've asked about cushion valves and was told they usually only put 1 on the offset cylinder :confused: I would think the angle cylinder needs one also.

So, those of you who have one, what do you think about the cushion valves?

Are these scraper blades ONLY available as hydraulic,, or can they be purchased as a mechanical only blade?

If they are available as mechanical,, I would assume the blade would be set up something like my landscape rake,,,

Jack4_zpsgs1s5lps.jpg

My rake does not have much of a cushion,,, :confused:

I had one rock that was mostly hidden in my driveway, and about 3 or 4 times I hooked it with my 584 IH and the Rhino blade I had at that time,,
when I did hook it,, the tractor would come to a pretty abrupt stop,, but, nothing was damaged.

The rock was at the very edge of the driveway,, so the blade hooked the rock with the very tip end of the blade,,

I was always positive that something HAD to be twisted,, but, it never happened,,

The last time I did some major work to my driveway, I had a guy with an excavator remove the rock,,

WfDSNFI.jpg

At least now I know why I never moved the rock!! :laughing:

/ Scraper Blade Choice #9  
Maybe hyped up on too much coffee right now...It would be really neat to fab up a little box scraper for my small garden tractor JD L120. Maybe 30" wide x 12" high and a long hydraulic self pumper to raise & lower it.

Ha ha...then I really would need to upgrade the trans to a K66 to handle the extra work.

Will the K66 direct replace the K46?

Dale

/ Scraper Blade Choice #10  
Will the K66 direct replace the K46?

Dale

Yes...the only thing that really is different is the axle shaft size of 1" dia. This of course affects the rear wheels like mine are 3/4" dia w/key.

When the time comes, I'll pay the $1800 for the kit to upgrade my tractor into a tow monster. Already put in a 27 HP commercial briggs. It's a beast still a lot less money invested than buying a new tractor.

Link to K66 upgrade kit...brace yourself - it's pricey but includes everything you need.
K66 Upgrade Kits