scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #41  
Nice thread! .....Sounds like you just need more 'toys' to do the job with, so you don't get tired on the one machine. ....I broke down and got a ZT this year and it is fantastic, but I still use the old riding mower and a couple of tractors with various mowers to get the job done. ...Variety is the spice of life!

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14
Nice thread! .....Sounds like you just need more 'toys' to do the job with, so you don't get tired on the one machine. ....I broke down and got a ZT this year and it is fantastic, but I still use the old riding mower and a couple of tractors with various mowers to get the job done. ...Variety is the spice of life!
Ha, it sure is, Edin! Though I'll say, I'm a bit of a minimalist, I wouldn't mind downsizing if able. I didn't buy the massey tractor for the mower deck, it was just was part of the deal. My thing is, I actually love the mower deck on the GC, 60" and it chews through everything! If I let the grass gets too long, that's what I hop on...that thing is not gonna bog down where the garden tractor would.

So then the garden tractor leaves me in a mini-conundrum, much more pleasant to mow on, but smaller deck than the GC, and not as capable with tall grass. I would actually demo one these stand-on mowers as a replacement for the garden tractor, if it wasn't for their huge price.

Oh and guys, let's stop talking about changing the seat. I already changed the seat, and it works great with my backhoe, and I'm not changing the seat again.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #43  
Anybody with input on that? I got R4 tires on mine, worked great for all the brush/tree/dirty work I had to do on my property. But now that I got that mostly done, the GC is now used more for mowing, yet I find the ride sux on my uneven ground. Compared to it, my garden tractor is way more comfortable for mowing, so I find myself using it more, even though the Massey's mower deck is way more capable. I was looking to improve that, wondering about swapping tires.
I have a Ferris 2200. Michelin Tweel tires on the rear, no flats on the front (don't have to worry about flats). I had tractor lug tires on the previous, but I get very good traction with these, probably because of the larger footprint. Note the shocks and springs on all 4 wheels, and independent front suspension. The seat is spring loaded, with a dial in front where you dial in your weight. I can go full speed (10 mph) on most terrain and be quite comfortable.

Attachments

• new mower front.jpg
    new mower front.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 87
  • new mower wheels.jpg
    new mower wheels.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 87
  • new mower.jpg
    new mower.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 72
   / scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #44  
I mow with a Scag 61” Turf Tiger ZTR and brush hog with my tractor. Both will lead to compaction if you do not vary you mowing/brush hogging lanes. Each is comfortable for their task. If I ever get my meadows to the desired end state, I will add a finish mower to my tractor and will not use the ZTR on the meadows.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #45  
I went from a tractor with turf tires to R4. Found the same thing. A bunch of trade-offs. I'm pretty happy with the R4s.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #46  
Just a few thoughts. R4 tires are what industrial tractors use they are usually 4, 6, or 8 ply which makes the stiff with a hard ride with a compromise on traction built to carry heavy loads. R1 are what most farm tractors use again 4, 6, 8 ply they are built for traction and carry loads and may be hard on turf. R3 are turf or diamond tread tires of course they are not usually built to carry a load but to be gentle on turf and will usually have a little less traction especially on wet turf than R4 or R1 and are usually 2 or 4 ply.

As for ride most folks have the idea they need to be inflated at a high pressure. I will relate a story of years ago when I worked at an MF dealer Folks would pump the tires on the garden tractor tires until about 2 inches in the center was touching the ground and then complain no traction and rough ride. They would say that's what the OM calls for. So I would leave air out until the tire was touching the width of the tread plus a little. Now all I heard was "It's flat" I would just say humor me and try it. Yep every one stopped complaining bout rough ride and traction.
If the seat isn't doing the job I would recommend going to the original turf tires (not turfs on your present rims, the wider ones) of the lowest ply rating available unless you are going to carry heavy weight with them then going to the minimum ply that will do the job, and leaving air out of them until the ride improves but not enough to destroy the tires.

As for the mid vs rear mount. Personally I have always liked the rear mount. Easy on and off, not handicapping the tractor, easier to sharpen the blades and service, can "reach" over ditches and banks, and once you're on to it don't even need to watch going past trees, fences and other objects.

Around this area commercial cutters seem to be abandoning Z turns for standers. That said I still prefer my tractors. Being on the old, larger size I have issues getting off z turns and my back doesn't "stand" a stander.

Have a wonderful day and a better tomorrow

I do always inflate the tires to max rating as listed on the sidewall, that's 20 psi on rears and 22 up front. Can you guys give me some pointers on how low I should go? And lower the pressure just rear or front too?

I would just do this for mowing, I'd inflate to max rating for loader and/or backhoe work.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #48  
I have two acres that I mow and call my lawn. It's mainly meadows with field grass. The actual lawn is right around the house and outbuildings. I don't have enough to justify a ZT and a lot of it is pretty rough/bumpy.

I have a brand new JD X570 and it works just fine. I guess I'm just fortunate. After three hours of mowing ( mowing it all ) - all I want to do is take a shower. Nothing is sore or bruised. But the dust clouds from mowing the pocket gopher mounds - I can shake off my clothing but not the 'ol bod. It takes a shower for that.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #49  
I do always inflate the tires to max rating as listed on the sidewall, that's 20 psi on rears and 22 up front. Can you guys give me some pointers on how low I should go? And lower the pressure just rear or front too?

I would just do this for mowing, I'd inflate to max rating for loader and/or backhoe work.
I'd try 15 both and check for too much flexing, if not a lot of sidewall flex should be good. then maybe try 10psi watch for the same. would not go under 10 personally.

I'd try 15 both and check for too much flexing, if not a lot of sidewall flex should be good. then maybe try 10psi watch for the same. would not go under 10 personally.
I'll try that, thank you!