SCUT's with backhoes

/ SCUT's with backhoes #1  

Mosby2015

Tractor
Ford 8N
I did search , so apologies if this is a dumb question, but why are so many SCUT sized tractors sold with Backhoes and CUT's and even utility sized tractors rarely have them, especially as standard equipment, or at least as options normally stocked by the dealer on stock units. My local John Deere dealer and the Kubota dealer both seem to have most of their SCUT stock unit's with backhoes on them.

Since these tractors, to me, seem to be more aimed at home owner or small property owners versus farmers or professional users, I am curious why it seems to be a desired option for tractors this size and not so much on the larger models.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #2  
I did search , so apologies if this is a dumb question, but why are so many SCUT sized tractors sold with Backhoes and CUT's and even utility sized tractors rarely have them, especially as standard equipment, or at least as options normally stocked by the dealer on stock units. My local John Deere dealer and the Kubota dealer both seem to have most of their SCUT stock unit's with backhoes on them.

Since these tractors, to me, seem to be more aimed at home owner or small property owners versus farmers or professional users, I am curious why it seems to be a desired option for tractors this size and not so much on the larger models.

SCUTs are considered to be estate tractors and are more geared to the homesteader or landscaper. The specialize in everything but are master of none:) I sooo love my estate tractor and BH\Loader combination. Farmers require more specialized heavy duty cycle machines depending on their application.

My dad has 26hp Kioti he uses for around the house mostly but for planting potatoes and brush hogging he uses an 80s international diesel. For making roads and clearing up property he uses a CAT excavator. He would rather lose his specialized equipment for his kioti any day :)

/ SCUT's with backhoes #3  
Yeah we SCUTters are kind of a Swiss Army knife version of a tractor. Pack more stuff into a small package that can do a bunch of small tasks easily.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #4  
They are like a "Jack of all trades, but a master of none". You can accomplish amazing things with them, however, you must also know their limitations. ;)

/ SCUT's with backhoes #5  
They are like a "Jack of all trades, but a master of none". You can accomplish amazing things with them, however, you must also know their limitations. ;)

Some people understand the limitations of an SCUT when they buy, others learn by using them.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #6  
A scut with a backhoe has a very limited reach and a scut really doesnt have enough mass to handle it.
You might look at all the tractor problems created by those.
If you are in a position of needing equipment on a larger scale a backhoe on a tractor really doesnt do what you want.
Thats why a backhoe tractor is much more beefy and has a longer reach. Also why mini excavators are so popular.
A excavator with a 13' reach really gets small quick. The reach on a scut is about 1/2 or less of that.
On the plus side of that they easily fit into a garage!

/ SCUT's with backhoes #7  
Yes, the SCUT TLB's are definitely useful for the smaller jobs / estate type maintenance. I even installed a full septic system with mine. I now stepped up to a small CUT (25hp) but got it with a BH option. LS tractor has BH's available up to the 55hp range. Are they the same as a commercial duty dedicated BH... No. Most larger tractor buyers either have no need for a BH, have a dedicated BH, or just rent a machine for the project. That's why you don't see many of the bigger tractors with BH's on the dealer's lots.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #8  
LS offers a backhoe on the XU series machines which top out at 68hp. I would have seriously considered a larger tractor when I bought mine, but I needed a backhoe.
The hoe has been a workhorse and has dug several thousand feet of 36” deep ditches without a problem.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #9  
You get the size you need for the jobs you will do. ( need to dig a two foot deep trench or one that is fifteen feet deep? ) One piece of equipment could do both jobs but may not fit small access space.

/ SCUT's with backhoes
While I appreciate all the replies, none of them answer my question. Of course I understand that a BH of that size is gong to have a fairly limited ability compared to a full sized unit, or even a small excavator. I also understand that this size tractor is more intended for hobbyists or home owners. But why does someone who needs that small of a tractor also need a backhoe, where the person who needs or wants a larger tractor, into the CUT range, not need a backhoe as much? I doubt your average CUT buyer also buys a dedicated backhoe, or excavator. Maybe once you get into a full sized or Utility tractor you more likely have multiple pieces of equipment and that equipment becomes more specialized but at that point you are more than likely also using that equipment as a source of income either directly ( landscaping, site work, etc.) or indirectly ( farming etc)

How much backhoe work does your average homeowner do?

My wife and I own 2 properties. Our primary residence which is about an acre in the Suburbs, and 4 acres of rural property with a Barn and a small apartment we use for weekends etc. It has a small orchard, and a fairly large creek running through it and I have no use for a backhoe. Unless I am missing out on the utility of one. I can see and have used a front loader for multiple things over the years and I am always amazed at the new things people come up with to use them, but a backhoe seems to me to be much more limited to digging, and some lifting chores.

What am I missing about so many SCUT's being sold with a BH?