SCUT's with backhoes

/ SCUT's with backhoes
I guess like most thing on the internet this thread has taken on a life of it's own. It definitely has turned into SCUT/BH owners defending their purchase, and letting everyone else know how great a tool it is. Which was never my question.

In case no one wants to actually read the thread the question originally was why are SCUTs so often sold with a backhoe, and CUTs mostly not sold with backhoes.

None of the defensive arguments being made by all the SCUT owners answer that question, so this thread, like many, has become a petty argument about mostly nothing. I didn't ever say a backhoe isn't a worthwhile tool, on a SCUT or anything else. But it is interesting to me that that option is most often bought by SCUT buyers and not CUT buyers. As far as this thread goes, it's also interesting that almost no CUT owners have chimed in about why they did or didn't buy a backhoe with their tractors.

That's not to say their silence has any meaning one way or the other, just that I find it interesting.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #72  
You can buy a BH for any tractor if you want it. I don’t understand what you are getting at..

/ SCUT's with backhoes #73  
Part of it comes to the costs vs capacity. As you get a bigger backhoe for a CUT you start being able to look at older used construction units for not a lot more. If you have the need for a BIG tractor and a BIG backhoe then you start thinking maybe it is worth spending the extra for a track hoe or old used construction unit. In my case I spent the money on a track hoe as I felt it was the best machine for MY uses and instead of sinking the money in my CUT for an attachment, I went with a separate machine and never regretted the decision. Just seemed to work best for me.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #74  
In case no one wants to actually read the thread the question originally was why are SCUTs so often sold with a backhoe, and CUTs mostly not sold with backhoes.

It's been addressed several times. SCUTs are sold as multipurpose machines for smaller property owners who only have the budget, need or space for one machine. CUTs and larger also have multiple uses, but on a larger scale where some of the functions are needed by less buyers. Those who buy CUTs are more likely to have other dedicated machines.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #75  
It's been addressed several times. SCUTs are sold as multipurpose machines for smaller property owners who only have the budget, need or space for one machine. CUTs and larger also have multiple uses, but on a larger scale where some of the functions are needed by less buyers. Those who buy CUTs are more likely to have other dedicated machines.

Exactly. There was a market segment that the small backhoes filled. The larger backhoe market segment was already, and still is, covered by purpose built machines that are more capable than a hoe on a tractor. Not sure why the OP feels his question hasn't been answered several times over. :confused3:

/ SCUT's with backhoes #76  
x3, says GeneV.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #77  
They are like a "Jack of all trades, but a master of none". You can accomplish amazing things with them, however, you must also know their limitations. ;)

That sounds like Dirty Harry:laughing:.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #78  
Just use them!

When the job can’t be done make a ‘new plan, ie. rethink your procedures!

/ SCUT's with backhoes #79  
SCUT-TLB packages are like what the Swiss Army knife is to a Outdoorsman, a few options in a small package and they do not take up a lot of room. A toy for the House Poor Suburbanite ��......j/k.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #80  
How much backhoe work does your average homeowner do?

Since I don't own a SCUT nor CUT, I don't know that I'm qualified to answer that.... that said, I do own a full sized industrial backhoe/loader that is used for residential purposes. If I'm moving dirt (which happens but not much) I obviously use the loader. Otherwise I find myself using the backhoe many many many more often than not.

Currently scraping my driveway down. Using backhoe to "rake" it and loosen it up. Use boxblade on tractor to move & smooth. Use backhoe to bury pets that have gone to the big Ranch in the sky, including my wife's fish. (yes, I used my 2' wide bucket to dig a hole to then toss her dead fish into)

Used it to transplant some of her day-lillies, "pinch" and carry/move some downed trees to the burn pile. Use it to push some standing dead trees over so they'd not fall into roadway. Used it to pull a fallen tree out from a ravine so the tree could be taken to saw mill & turned into dimensional lumber. Used it to scrap out the cove where our dock is (at low winter pool) Use it to pull idiots out of the mud when they try to go 4-wheeling in areas they're not supposed to be in (I let them crawl into the mucky mud to attach to their vehicle)

Have some Kudzu on back side of farm. (my wife grew up here) Decided to take tractor in there 15 years ago and see if I could cut it back some.... BAM, hit something metal. Turns out 25 years ago her brother lost a trailer! I just found it. Was a rust bucket so went to put into her uncle's truck to take to dump....trailer was WAY too heavy for that and literally bent the side of his truck out to about 45 degrees (oops). When I told him about it, expecting I'd have to buy the truck or a new bed for it, he just laughed and said to bend it back!! So, used the backhoe to push the side of his truckbed into position (today you'd never know that happened)

Used it to hoist/crane the (flat) rear tires off the tractor to put into truck to get flat fixed, then hoist/crane tire back into position.

The backhoe specifically is the first thing I think of when it comes to doing something other than lifting & moving dirt. I view the loader as a sledghammer and the backhoe more as a versatile swiss army knife.