Searching for steel

/ Searching for steel #1  

ldabe

Gold Member
Tractor
PT-422 2002 Robin eng.
Hey guys, especially JJ and MR, where do/did you get your steel for your projects? I won't be starting to do any welding myself, probably untill late winter or early spring, but I would like to start gathering some material now.

Where do you guys get yours and what is the going rate?

Is there anywhere to get it cheap ($) or even for free for jobs that really do not require the outcome to be pleasing to the eye?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments, as usual you guys on this forum are great!

(PS. Gravy, if you read this I am still waiting for your pics and proceedure on the PHD you made)

/ Searching for steel #2  
ldabe said:
Hey guys, especially J and MR, where do/did you get your steel for your projects? I won't be starting to do any welding myself, probably until late winter or early spring, but I would like to start gathering some material now.

Is there anywhere to get it cheap ($) or even for free for jobs that really do not require the outcome to be pleasing to the eye?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments, as usual you guys on this forum are great!

(PS. Gravy, if you read this I am still waiting for your pics and procedure on the PHD you made)

If you want to use new steel. You can purchase small stuff at some of the Home centers like Home Depot. I have several steel distributors here in Jacksonville, Fl. for light to heavy stuff. On new stuff they have a minimum. and you may have to cut it for transport. Length are usually 20 to 24 ft long. Some smaller steel distributors will custom cut stuff for you. Comes in handy if you don't have a torch or plasma cutter.

Used steel can be found all over from scrap yards, from friends to flea markets, demolition and clean out of buildings. I have quite a bit of stock right now. In truth, get it where you can . Free is good.

/ Searching for steel #3  
Let your fingers do the walking and look for "Steel Suppliers". See what they offer and have available. Most will sell you anything if you pick it up and will deliver if you buy a certain minimum load. Some will give you one cut for free to take 20 footers and make them 10 footers for transport. Some have drops for sale by the pound. These are smaller end cuts from custom jobs. Some charge by the pound and some charge by the foot depending on the type (bar, flat, angle, round, etc). The price per lb or ft may vary depending on the type also.

/ Searching for steel #4  
ldabe said:
Hey guys, especially JJ and MR, where do/did you get your steel for your projects? I won't be starting to do any welding myself, probably untill late winter or early spring, but I would like to start gathering some material now.

(PS. Gravy, if you read this I am still waiting for your pics and proceedure on the PHD you made)
This may give some ideas.eBay: 1 1/2" X 12" X .120 Wall STEEL SQUARE TUBING NEW!!! (item 7621672539 end time Jun-18-06 21:59:43 PDT)

/ Searching for steel #5  
I have been fortunate enough to get most of it for free from machinery that is being scrapped. We had a couple scrap yards locally that were good source. One even had racks of stock in different dimensions all sorted out, but they went wholesale only, so no private sales anymore.

We have one local steel supplier. As mentioned, they have 20-24 foot pieces that most folks need to get cut to haul home. They are high on their prices + they charge $20.00 per cut! :eek:

I found this place. Looks pretty good price wise and shipping VIA ground looks reasonable, too. Check them out and see what you think. I will probably be ordering my bucket linkage materials from them next week.

https://www.metalsdepot.com/

/ Searching for steel #6  
Oh, yeah. As for cutting it myself... if it fits in the junky band saw, I cut it on that. If it is too big, I rought it out with a torch and gring it to the final dimensions. This is what is adding probably 15 hours to my backhoe project. However, a $15.00 grinder from Harbor Freight and a couple 10 packs of wheels for $14.00 is doing the job very well. Takes time, but hey, it's still nice out and I can watch the football games on Saturdays on the garage TV while I grind away. Just can't hear anything! :D

/ Searching for steel #7  
I get my steel at a local salvage yard. Prices are very reasonable, a fraction of what you pay at Lowes. Sometimes I design my stuff around what they have.

/ Searching for steel #8  
Idabe, where in SE michigan are you? I can direct you somewhat north of detroit

/ Searching for steel #9  
ldabe said:

I'm hoping to do some pix of the PhD and some other items this weekend, if nothing blows up in the meantime.

I got most of my steel from a local forklift repair/sales yard that also gets salvage material. Unfortunately, somebody came in and bought all but the biggest stuff a few months ago. I'm hoping more will come in before I run out of my stock on hand.

Gravy