Seat operator present safety switch, Do not lift a cheek....

/ Seat operator present safety switch, Do not lift a cheek.... #1  

spruce Deere

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 with loader LS xr3140h also with loader plus a cab
The operator present switch in the seat of my cabbed xr3140h is rather sensitive.

When I have the cruise control set when planting, tilling or doing what ever if I so much as lift a cheek or reposition a little in the seat the tractor kills or almost kills with very little loss of butt-in-seat down pressure. I'm a healthy 210lbs, should be enough to hold the switch:giggle:

Anyone lets experience this phenomenon??

Safety POLICE aside, the switch is on my bypass/frustration elimination list(y)

Last edited:
   / Seat operator present safety switch, Do not lift a cheek.... #2  
simple fix. adjust the switch.
sounds like its not getting enough contact pressure

/ Seat operator present safety switch, Do not lift a cheek.... #3  
The seat on my MF1540 would freeze in the winter, so the seat safety switch could not detect any weight in the seat. Just bypassed the switch and never looked back....,

/ Seat operator present safety switch, Do not lift a cheek....
Does seem to happen more with the cooler weather.

By-pass would eliminate future ailments and frustrations, switch failure, sudden engine kill in the middle of operations....

/ Seat operator present safety switch, Do not lift a cheek.... #5  
I didnt think cabbed tractors even had seat switches. I know my dk45 cab doesnt

/ Seat operator present safety switch, Do not lift a cheek.... #6  
I hate to disconnect safety switches. That being said I will put a bypass switch in so I can temporarily disconnect it for the needed job. I have a grandson that drives my tractor and I want all the safety features working when he's in the drivers seat.

/ Seat operator present safety switch, Do not lift a cheek.... #7  
The CONSERVATIVE approach is to keep manufacturer’s safety switches intact. A more LIBERAL approach would be to modify or remove them.

Words have meanings.

You can’t just make up new meanings for words because they don’t agree with your bias.

/ Seat operator present safety switch, Do not lift a cheek.... #8  
I hate to disconnect safety switches. That being said I will put a bypass switch in so I can temporarily disconnect it for the needed job. I have a grandson that drives my tractor and I want all the safety features working when he's in the drivers seat.

agree.....I lend my tractor to my neighbor when he wants to brush hog his field - I plug my seat safety switch back together when he's using it.

/ Seat operator present safety switch, Do not lift a cheek.... #9  
I wonder if a small shim on the contact surface would make a difference in the sensitivity?

/ Seat operator present safety switch, Do not lift a cheek.... #10  
I'm not sure what style your seat switch is. For the ones that relay on the seat cushion itself to depress the switch, sometimes some folded fabric or similar in between the switch and cushion firms up things and makes it easier the switch to do its thing. I've done that a few times for those that are light in the seat.