Securing/covering Pole Barn Windows

/ Securing/covering Pole Barn Windows #1  

East30

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650 / RTV-X1100C Toro Titan 5
Greetings, I have four windows in my pole barn that I cover with hinged pieces of plywood when I'm not in the area, which is most of the week. Right now the hinges are on the bottom, and drop the plywood down for light, and allow the breeze to come in. It's a pain as, of course, I really can't have anything under the windows it hinders dropping the plywood. Yes, i can put the hinges to the top, but I'm thinking I rather have the plywood, slide up on a pulley system to uncover the windows for aesthetic's windows are in a corner. I plan to put a little bar/gathering area in that corner of the barn where those windows are.

Anyone done something like that and can share a photo, or suggest hardware, ideas?? thanks.

/ Securing/covering Pole Barn Windows #2  
Take a look at the 19th century. Sash weights, pulley and cord will let you slide the plywood up and down. Or you could go with shutters.

/ Securing/covering Pole Barn Windows #3  
I too was thinking of shutters. What could be older or more proven then that? I built my new drive shed with no windows at all, but polycarbonate overhead doors. Don't regret that at all. No more windows with the terrible mess that they encompass in an outbuilding.

/ Securing/covering Pole Barn Windows
Sash weights. I'd seen that st up before and didn't know what to call them. Thanks. Don;t know why I never thought of shutters, probably to simple and me wanting to naturally over complicate everything. ha. Thanks. I' don't want anything protruding from the walls on the inside when open, and the windows may be too close, sets of bi-fold shutters may work. I'll do some measuring over the weekend.

/ Securing/covering Pole Barn Windows #5  
When I built my barn I used the pieces of metal I cut out for the windows as awnings hinged from the top. This keeps out the hot sun and the rain. I used a couple pieces of 1/2" EMT for the braces with holes through the ends to go over studs with wing nuts on the studs. It just takes a couple of minutes to open or close the windows when needed and a latch on the inside keeps them secure. These large 4 X 6' windows keep all of my stalls nice and airy.

IMG_4319.JPG

/ Securing/covering Pole Barn Windows #6  
What about sliding barn door style 'doors'? They are smart clean stylish and time proven. And given their popularity in recent years, there are a ton of hardware opitions and styles to choose from. Even if you have two windows in close proximity to each other you could make them wide enough to fit both windows with one 'door'.
You can essentially make them and length and width you choose.images.jpgdownload.jpgwinsoon-5-16ft-sliding-barn-door-hardware-bypass-double-track-kit-bent-basic_356_650x650.jpg