securing tie down to your trailer

/ securing tie down to your trailer #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
I usually use short chains through the stake pockets that attach with a clevis to the end of the tie down strap. It is a shame that the hook will not drop down through the pocket like a log chain will. There has yo be an easier way. How do you guys who use straps do it?

/ securing tie down to your trailer #2  
Well when I had to pick up my atv I used straps drop the hook down bring it up and hook on the channel.

/ securing tie down to your trailer #3  
8348039.jpg

/ securing tie down to your trailer #4  
I usually use short chains through the stake pockets that attach with a clevis to the end of the tie down strap. It is a shame that the hook will not drop down through the pocket like a log chain will. There has yo be an easier way. How do you guys who use straps do it?

I bought the wrong style ( before getting the trailer) -otherwise could have used the flat hook style ended tie downs which will slide thru or the chain ended style like Tim posted.

This worked for me by plasma cutting round holes in the outer pocketshay load 1 (2).jpg
It works well and retains the hook in the hole even if tension is lost- the hook needs to be rotated out to remove it.

Last edited:
   / securing tie down to your trailer #5  
Stick the ends in a vice and squeeze them so they fit through the pockets.

/ securing tie down to your trailer #6  
I use the flat hook style:

2in_ratchet_strap_flat_hook_LRG_601f4564-08ee-4d90-a4c9-8ba469c780c2_large.jpg

/ securing tie down to your trailer #7  
I have channels for my trailer frame, so I drop the strap down the side and hook it on the flange. Another method is to weld a 2" bar to the sides so you have a continuous hook point. Typically when I attach to the stake pockets, I'll drop the chain through and then hook it to the top of the pocket so it won't fall off. I don't do this with the strap and instead hook them to the bottom of the stake pocket from the outside. Attaching to the pocket has an advantage because the hook can't slip like it would if the angle was too flat and you were attaching to the frame flange.

/ securing tie down to your trailer #9  
My trailer has "D" rings in all four corners,, I like them so much, I added them to my loader bucket.

0998eea2-45f4-4f32-aa7a-542feb206313_zpsm13iqty2.jpg

I got them off eBay,,, they are inexpensive,,,

D7K_6437_zpsoxk5hmjz.jpg

/ securing tie down to your trailer #10  
I use the flat hook style:

View attachment 481984
They are called "J" hooks. Like chains, they should be dropped through the stake pocket and brought up on the outside and hung on the pocket. Typically, this will subject the webbing to sharp edges so the webbing should be protected. Old fire hose, commercially available leather sleeves or even strips of leather from those old nasty shoes you just tossed into the trash will work.

Anytime a hook of any type is simply catching the underside of a pocket, rub rail, frame, whatever, you would be wise to put a bungee on it to keep it hooked should your tie down slack.