Seeking Grapple Wisdom

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #51  
No. You are describing the 3PT hydraulics that raise and lower implements. Rear remotes (as ritcheys showed) are hydraulic valves that can be connected to a variety of implements or cylinders via quick couplers. They allow hydraulic power to be used remote from the tractor. For example, you could hook up a backhoe, a log splitter, a "top and tilt" setup to control pitch and angle of a back blade, a rear or front snowblower shoot etc. Whatever is connected to the rear remote is controlled by a lever that on a CK is sometimes just next to the 3PT control lever. On my CK20 I had one set of remotes and I believe it was controlled by a lever just outboard but in a parallel track as the 3PT. On my DK40 I have two sets fo rear remotes and they are controlled by levers mounted just outboard of the operator's seat at floor level and near the FEL joystick. I can easily reach the levers by simply dropping my hand off the FEL joystick. Just like dropping your hand off the steering wheel of a car/truck to reach the transmission lever.

You mention that you have a front mounted hydraulic shoot so you already have some remotes. How do you control the hydraulic shoot?

I control the hydraulic shoot with the joystick. I have four lines 2 got to the blower up/down and 2 to make the shoot rotate left/right. These are the same lines that I use on the FEL. Love this set up

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #52  
I control the hydraulic shoot with the joystick. I have four lines 2 got to the blower up/down and 2 to make the shoot rotate left/right. These are the same lines that I use on the FEL. Love this set up

Yes, if you have that set up for snow blowing then you are already prepared for a grapple. You'd control the grapple the same way for open/close instead of up/down. You might need to get a couple new hoses and fittings if the existing lines for the snowblower cannot be routed to approximately the middle of the FEL torque tube (the bar between the arms near the front) where you can attach the grapple.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #53  
Yes, if you have that set up for snow blowing then you are already prepared for a grapple. You'd control the grapple the same way for open/close instead of up/down. You might need to get a couple new hoses and fittings if the existing lines for the snowblower cannot be routed to approximately the middle of the FEL torque tube (the bar between the arms near the front) where you can attach the grapple.

That ain't gonna work. He is going to need that FEL joystick to control the loader lift and curl. He will need a either a remote or a diverter or a third function setup. Those are your 3 choices. If you don't already have a rear remote, then the diverter setup will be the cheapest. If you already have a rear remote (I believe you indicated you did not) then it would be the cheapest.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #54  
My mistake. I didn't realize that front mounted snowblowers used FEL hydraulics. I thought he already had front mounted remotes.

Back to rear remotes to control the grapple. Everyone should have at least one set anyways.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #55  
That is exactly what I thought that I would need another hydraulic line to open and close the grapple. I saw a video on EA that showed a electrical control on the joystick to operate the open/close grapple. I think he used a diverter with a wire that went to a switch installed on the joystick which ran the grapple opening /closing at a touch of the thumbs. Will definitely look into that.
Thanks for your inputs gave me lots of options.
Gilles

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #56  
That is the size that I am looking for my CK30. I have one question about the hydraulic hoses on this grapple. Looks like you had to install 2 outlets to accommodate this grapple for opening and closing. Can you show me pics of where those lines go and what had to be added to the joystick for operating this grapple. The reason I ask is what I have to do to accommodate my CK to a grapple. Did the original skid steer quick attach work on this grapple or did you have to modify it. Thanks for any info.
Gilles

Hey Gilles,

As you have already been told - there are 3 basic choices Rear Remotes, Diverter, and 3rd Function. The Pros/Cons of each of these has been discussed in the forums at great detail and you are free to pick which works best for you.

I opted for 3rd function because it felt the most "natural" and easiest to operate. There are pre-made kits to add a 3rd function to your tractor (WR Long being the most popular and the one EA sells). Again I opted to take the "hard way" and build my own set-up. It's actually not that difficult to install, the majority of my issues were in the design/engineering phase.

I have a write-up of my project here - there are also a couple updates thru the thread so everything is not in the initial post.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/358086-kioti-ck-35-3rd-function.html

If you decide to tackle this yourself, there are many many knowledgeable people here that can help you out and answer questions for you.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #57  
Ritcheyvs, I also have a DK45 and just got this grapple. I like the size and delivered price.
48" Single Cylinder Root Grapple Bucket Attachment — Skid Steer Attachment Depot
IMG_20161006_173508.jpgIMG_20161008_172608.jpgIMG_20161008_174539.jpg