Seeking Grapple Wisdom

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #1  

ritcheyvs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45S
I have a 2006 DK45s with the KL451 loader. This is a self-leveling loader with the Skid Steer Quick Attach interface and it's rated at 2800 lb lift at the pivot pin. I have been lusting after a grapple, mainly to move/remove small trees and brush and to move sections of larger dead trees (after sawing to a manageable length).

I've seen a number of promising grapples online, mainly from Everything Attachments and Titan. I was overwhelmed with the material in the Attachments forum and was hoping to gain more concise knowledge here.

What are the considerations about width? I've seen grapples from 4 ft to 6 ft (and larger). Is there an advantage to a wide grapple? It seems to me (with zero experience) that a 4-5 ft grapple would be plenty. Does that seem right?

What about construction and strength and weight? The heavy (like 700-800 lb) Titan grapples (extreme and regular) look very beefy with 1/2 inch teeth and sides but that's a LOT of dead weight. On the other hand, the lightweight (3/8 inch steel) 48 inch Titan unit weighs only 450 lb and the 60 inch EA Wicked Root Grapple (also 3/8 inch) is under 400 lb. EA claims to use better steel and it looks like they remove excess metal to make it lighter. Are these lighter units up to the job or should I look for the beefiest unit?

Single or dual lid? Does the second lid add utility?

What about bottom tooth shape? The EA Wicked Root Grapple and main Titan design have narrow teeth (cut from plate) that tip up at the front. The Titan Extreme design appears to have very pointy (replaceable) teeth that are nearly horizontal. Does it matter? What are the advantages of each?

I realize that each owner will have limited experience with one (or maybe two) designs, but that's a lot more experience than I have. So I welcome your input on good or bad points of these or any other grapples you may have used.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #2  
You will love a grapple when you get one. It is the most used FEL attachment that I use. I have a JD 4300 and have been using an EA wicked grapple 48" for a couple of years now. It has handled everything that I have thrown at it including clearing 4 acres of timber along with countless brush. The 48" doesn't restrict the amount of load I can pick up. I routinely carry 25-30' loads as long as they are relatively balanced. You have a high lift capacity with your tractor so a larger or beefier one wouldn't hurt you too much. But a 48" grapple would probably do you just fine. Good luck and have fun....

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #3  
This thread ought to get interesting. :laughing:

I have limited experience having only owned one grapple the 50 inch EA wicked single lid.

I can tell you this much, I have never wished for a wider grapple. NEVER. I have wished at times it was narrower, but the SSQA is i think about 45 inches, so it can't be any narrower to speak of. I realize some people use them to plow roots up and want a path plowed as wide as the tractor. I haven't needed this function

I have never wanted two lids. But I haven't owned a two lid grapple either. The two lid proponents will point out they can more likely clamp on irregular loads. OK. I haven't had any trouble clamping onto irregular loads with my single lid. Take it for what it is worth.

I am a proponent of the grapples using the high strength steel with lighter weight. Every pound put into grapple weight is a pound you cannot lift of load. I cannot speak to the tooth design as I haven't owned different styles.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #4  
I have a 60" grapple and it is way too wide. A 48" would be much better. I have a two lid grapple, but if I had a 48" wide one 1 lid would work. If I had a 1 lid grapple I'd want greatly increased clamping force. I'd prefer a tooth design that closes flat so I could clamp on small trees and pull them out of the ground. My current V tooth is nearly useless for trying to pull brush out of the ground. image-1234912267.jpg image-4067728793.jpg image-3158100351.jpg

image-1534098245.jpg

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #5  
I have a 60" grapple and it is way too wide. A 48" would be much better. I have a two lid grapple, but if I had a 48" wide one 1 lid would work. If I had a 1 lid grapple I'd want greatly increased clamping force. I'd prefer a tooth design that closes flat so I could clamp on small trees and pull them out of the ground. My current V tooth is nearly useless for trying to pull brush out of the ground. View attachment 478962 View attachment 478963 View attachment 478964

View attachment 478965

I can pick up a twig the size of a pencil or less with my EA single lid.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #6  
I can pick up a twig the size of a pencil or less with my EA single lid.
I can too if it's laying horizontal and on dirt. My grapple has an overbite which makes it impossible to pick up small stuff on concrete. I want to pick up a twig the size of a pencil standing vertical.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #7  
   / Seeking Grapple Wisdom #8  
I can too if it's laying horizontal and on dirt. My grapple has an overbite which makes it impossible to pick up small stuff on concrete. I want to pick up a twig the size of a pencil standing vertical.

While I haven't picked up a vertical pencil, I am pretty certain I could. Because the teeth come together on the tips and have flats on them. There is no overbite, they match perfectly. The only problem would be feathering correctly to prevent smashing a cedar pencil, but I think I could do it. It would make a heck of a video don't you think?

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #10  
While I haven't picked up a vertical pencil, I am pretty certain I could. Because the teeth come together on the tips and have flats on them. There is no overbite, they match perfectly. The only problem would be feathering correctly to prevent smashing a cedar pencil, but I think I could do it. It would make a heck of a video don't you think?
I'm not very interested in picking up pencils with my grapple although it would make a good video. I would rather see you try to pull saplings out of the ground. I could pick up a pencil with my backhoe thumb. It bites better and has a lot smoother hydraulic controls. The all or nothing solenoid controlled grapple controls aren't very good for precise moments.

Last edited: