Seeking tractor advice

/ Seeking tractor advice #1  

ReedRidge

Tractor
1965 MF135 Gas
Okay, I was born a city boy in Flint Michigan. Take that to heart and if I am missing the obvious feel free to assume ignorance and provide proper direction.

I retired to 45 acres in northeastern Kentucky and need to keep about 4-6 bush hogged and to maintain .78 miles of dirt/gravel road from the nearest public road. It's hilly. Very. I have a bush hog and box blade I have learned to use with my 1965 MF135 Gas Tractor after I learned to drive it. I would not mind adding an auger later.... but... We live 27 minutes from the nearest gas station as a point of reference. I don't need it to make money, just to not have to pay others as I have a limited budget. I have put this off because of this bug thing, but with the vaxx in me, I cannot delay it any longer.

The MF135 was in the barn with the place. It needs rear tires (12.4 x 28's right now but one has fist sized holes and the other is really dry rotted) and the brakes are going. I've jury rigged the electrical and it runs (as you can see in pics). I don't have the correct tools to change the tires, and am an old soldier with some uncooperative less-than-original body parts for brute forcing it.

SO, I am left with (as far as I can tell)

- buying a trailer to transport it (which isn't great, but I could use it for other stuff) and then
shopping around to find a place to get the tires changes (after I drop a fair chunk of cash to buy tires) and having them check the brakes since I already went thru all that hassle/cost
Dealing with the fact that while it is within 4 years of my age, and while the simple is nice, it is a real bear to drive without at least 1 good knee

- Finding someone who will onsite do the tire change (and maybe following a youtube vid for the brakes myself, but we have HILLS and I would like to know what right feels like for a point of reference) and paying for tires/services

- Taking the money I would have spent on the above plus another 2k and picking up some decently maintained tractor nearby that has no current needs and is already in decent shape. Maybe selling the MF to someone who wants to play with it to get some cash back.

Any recommendations?

IMG_20190707_124505.jpg
IMG_20190707_124547.jpg

/ Seeking tractor advice #2  
I think you're saying the tractor is adequate other than tires and brakes. You will not find a "decently maintained" tractor for anything approaching what you'll put into tires and brakes. I would break the lugs loose on the wheels then jack the rear of the tractor, putting it on blocks with the rear wheels off the ground. Removing the tires and wheels becomes simple at that point, though they are HEAVY. Put them on a low trailer or into your pickup and take them to the dealer to have the tires replaced. They can then be reinstalled onto the tractor. While the tires are off is an excellent time to pursue the brakes. I know nothing about your clutch, engine, or anything else but for me the tires and brakes would not be a deal breaker. It should be a fine old tractor if you don't need a front loader.

/ Seeking tractor advice #3  
When you buy a tractor you're pretty much buying an engine with tires, that's where the value is at so new tires are a big expense. But once you have them you'll get a lot out of them.

Have you not met any of the neighbors who could lend a hand hauling it to a shop? Or recommend someone to do the work? I can't tell you how much frustration and money I've saved just by knowing neighbors, they're all way older than me so I end up doing a lot of manual labor in return but still;)

/ Seeking tractor advice #4  
Any (car/truck) tire dealer can order tractor tires and provide mounting service.

Tractor tires ordered from web tire dealer and are usually the cheapest price you will find, including delivery. Few web dealers charge sales tax unless located within your state.

VENDERS: internet tractor tire venders

Last edited:
   / Seeking tractor advice #5  
Welcome to TBN! good luck with your decision.

/ Seeking tractor advice #6  
As Jeff notes, check into having someone come and take care of the tires. Avoid transport headaches.

/ Seeking tractor advice
I think you're saying the tractor is adequate other than tires and brakes. You will not find a "decently maintained" tractor for anything approaching what you'll put into tires and brakes. I would break the lugs loose on the wheels then jack the rear of the tractor, putting it on blocks with the rear wheels off the ground. Removing the tires and wheels becomes simple at that point, though they are HEAVY. Put them on a low trailer or into your pickup and take them to the dealer to have the tires replaced. They can then be reinstalled onto the tractor. While the tires are off is an excellent time to pursue the brakes. I know nothing about your clutch, engine, or anything else but for me the tires and brakes would not be a deal breaker. It should be a fine old tractor if you don't need a front loader.

This makes sense, I went out after I saw this and did some heavy penetrating oil on them, I may be able to apply a big enough lever to try this route. I had given them some tentative tries before I decide to make my post and they may have been on there 20-30 years! Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Seeking tractor advice
When you buy a tractor you're pretty much buying an engine with tires, that's where the value is at so new tires are a big expense. But once you have them you'll get a lot out of them.

Have you not met any of the neighbors who could lend a hand hauling it to a shop? Or recommend someone to do the work? I can't tell you how much frustration and money I've saved just by knowing neighbors, they're all way older than me so I end up doing a lot of manual labor in return but still;)

I only have one neighbor within a mile and honestly, he is a good man, lived out here all his life and is solid for advice. I have already leaned on him once or twice already and hate to be that new guy in the county. Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Seeking tractor advice
Any (car/truck) tire dealer can order tractor tires and provide mounting service.

Tractor tires ordered from web tire dealer and are usually the cheapest price you will find, including delivery. Few web dealers charge sales tax unless located within your state.

VENDERS: internet tractor tire venders

Yeah, I had wanted to find them on Marketplace or one of the local county boards or online, I see they can run 400-1200 each new. I saw some go for 100 each, used both in better shape than mine. But, you got me thinking and I need to go some direct calling around here and see if anyone does have a mounting service.

No lie, I hate talking on the phone and the area does not net search well so I had been a chicken on doing so, but I pulled a list of numbers from some different searches and am going to tighten my boots and see what I can find out.

Thanks!

/ Seeking tractor advice
As Jeff notes, check into having someone come and take care of the tires. Avoid transport headaches.

Thanks for the extra prod on calling around, I got lazy in Cincinnati as a civilian, everything was net searchable and nothing between Chillicothe, OH and West Virginia, between Lexington and Charleston seems to be.