Seeking tractor advice

/ Seeking tractor advice #12  
Might invest in some tools. Impact guns are essential (though always look to help out the situation by using penetrating fluids).

/ Seeking tractor advice #13  
if you can't break the bead try running over the tire with you pickup
or get a 2x12x6ft lay it on the tire and run your pickup on it should
break the bead. If you have to put the tires in the bed of your pickup you can use 2 ratcheting tie downs use 2 2x6s or 2x12s
place on tail gate down and start ratcheting one will not get the
tire in the bed have to change them. Sure saves the back!

blonde gets stalled in inter section cop comes over asks whats wrong
blonde says can't get this thing started cop says use your noodle use
your noodle blonde says where is it I have pushed and pulled every
gadget in this thing

willy

Last edited:
   / Seeking tractor advice #14  
One thing to keep in mind is, the bigger the tire, the easier they are to change. This is true of tractor tires too.

It is hard to describe here, but I break my tires down with a jack. A floor jack works best, but other jacks do work. You just need to chain the jack down to the rim, then make your bead breakers with 2x4's.

As you jack up against the chain, it puts down pressure on the tire bead on four places via the 2x4's and blocks. That puts a lot of pressure on four points, then hit the bead with a sledge hammer. Within a whack or two, it will pop right off the rim because it has tremendous pressure all the way around the rim. It just needs a jolt to get it to go. (search Youtube for tractor tire changing and you will see what I mean).

Rims too can be repaired if they rot out by welding. A dealer quoted me $2000 for 2 rear rims and tires. I repaired the rims for $20 and got new rubber for $850 from an advertiser on this site with tubes. That is 60% less and the same result.

Most things you can fix yourself with a little thought. As an example my tractor seat was ripped, and cost was $60 for a replacement. A $3 can of spray foam, some self tapping screws and spray-rubber fixed it for $8. The way I look at it is: you can use your brain, or your wallet.

/ Seeking tractor advice #15  
Take time to drive around to farm and tractor stores and shops. Their business is helping people just like you. You’ll need them again sometime.

Brakes are important particularly in hill country. Your hills are bumps compared to ours. Most tractor dealers have ways of pickup and delivery. This is their busiest time of year so get in line.

Tires and brakes is not that complicated or hard DIY. A lot of tractors that vintage have CaCl ballast in the tires. So your rim condition is important. Only you know if you are up to it. Internet is a priceless resource I didn’t have growing up.

Those MF tractors are tuff and easy to work on. Get a manual. Brakes might just need adjustment. This education is just getting started.

Welcome to TBN. There is lots of good information and helpful advice being shared.

/ Seeking tractor advice #16  
First thing would be to do is find someone to do the tire change, either a tire service that will come to you or will do it at their shop.... We now the why, but you need to know the how before you plunge in on the buy.... The "How" may make big difference on what you purchase....

At age some of these projects may be bigger then you want to handle....Its probably going to be a one time expense and tires will probably out last you.....

Dale

/ Seeking tractor advice #17  
Are your brakes grinding or otherwise wore out? If they just need adjusting, it's pretty easy.

/ Seeking tractor advice #18  
Thanks for the extra prod on calling around, I got lazy in Cincinnati as a civilian, everything was net searchable and nothing between Chillicothe, OH and West Virginia, between Lexington and Charleston seems to be.
look for this company

Best-One Tire and Service of Mid America​

/ Seeking tractor advice #19  
12.4-28 tires are a fairly common size, so you should be able to find them for $350 - $500 each. Ask a local feed store a good place to buy tires. They may even have a used set of takeoffs. Mounting tractor tires isn't all that hard - after - you've done it about six times :) If you can find a place that will sell and mount tires reasonably enough, you can take the wheels off and rent a Uhaul trailer to haul them to the shop.