Selecting blade type

/ Selecting blade type #11  
I installed high lift blades on my 5' Land Pride Finish Mower, I had to take them off and put the low-lift blades back on due to the engine overheating on my 19hp PTO Kubota B2650. You are correct, high lift blades require more power.

/ Selecting blade type #12  
I've recently (this past winter) acquired a new property that requires mowing. I've been using my Land Pride 1660 finish mower to try and get it into better shape. As I understand, it was "bush hogged" once a year previously. I'd like to make it a little more grass-like and a little less "weedpatch-like". My intention is to mow it maybe 3 times a year to keep the weeds from going to seed.

This is not "field grass" as in, filled in, ready-to-make-hay kind of grass. It's somewhat sparse, but the taller stuff I'm cutting is probably near 2 feet. I know, probably more suited for a rotary cutter, but this is what I currently have.

My mower does a pretty decent job, but i do get some "stragglers" - tall, uncut pieces of grass/weeds/whatever. It may be partly due to the blades not being razor sharp, but they are not too-too bad (compared to some I've seen here and there). What I'm thinking is that since I have it set to the highest possible cutting height (wanting to avoid the not-too-infrequent rocks, protruding ledge, misc logs etc) that there just isn't enough suction to keep everything pulled up good and tight so that it gets sliced/shred/torn off. I'm assuming that the blades I have are "medium lift". Would "high lift" potentially give me a better cut? Other thoughts (other than getting a rotary cutter, which is not entirely out of the question)?

FWIW, I don't feel I have a problem with power on my 22.5 HP (gross) / 5' mower, so the extra loss from the high lift (I'm assuming there is one) would probably not be significant.

This is the type of conditions I'm looking at:
View attachment 561079View attachment 561080View attachment 561081View attachment 561082

NOTE: Yes, I am cutting some of the "brush" that's in the pics, but with a more regular schedule of 2-3 time per year that condition will no longer be. I suspect that the previous owner actually didn't have it cut at all last year.

Just one comment. I don’t think 3 times a year will stop the weeds going to seed. Not based on my fields going to seed in what seems like a week

Andy