Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges)

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #11  
Just use a big ole screen door spring. ;)

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges)
oooops sorry I forgot to describe the gate action.
I want the gates to open forward (coming or going) then swing back to closed (at the middle).

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #13  
what kind of traffic (dogs, sheep, goats, horses, cows, people, etc) do you NOT want to be able to go thru the gate? Or is it just so it LOOKS closed??!? Steve

Just to make it look like its a private driveway not a public road. I'm not looking fwd to getting out to open/close it. I wonder if it can be bumped open without making wear marks on our cars. Even my pickup has a painted bumper.

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #15  
How about this type? The bottom hinge is the two legged one, so it's self closing in both directions

hinges.jpg

Self-Closing Hinge Sets for Chain Link & Tubular Gates - Hoover Fence Co. - All things Fence and Fence Related

I like that one. I'd probably build one, very easy to copy, THANKS!

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #17  
I have no details. 50 years ago my Uncle's farm had dual gates that self closed and latched. Had a bumper pad in the middle that he would hit with his tractor bumper. Unlatched the gates and then his momentum would swing them open. They closed and latched behind him. He raised thousand of ducks/geese on what would be called today "free range". As a kid I thought that was the coolest thing ever!!!!! All our gates dragged on the ground......

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #18  
OK, now that the intent is clear I'd start saving for a double gate "mighty mule" or similar - otherwise I'm pretty sure ALL your vehicles will end up with "wrap-around racing stripes" -

Only OTHER (semi) sane idea I'm comin' up with - 6" or larger URETHANE casters mounted on BOTH sides of BOTH gates at a height that'll work with whatever vehicles you own, COMBINED with the "slanty hinge thingys" - and those casters would need to be mounted at slightly different heights on opposing gates so they DIDN'T HIT EACH OTHER as the gates swing open, or it'd probably "spring" your gate posts or bend the caster brackets - ...Steve

Them'r ideas! Electric would have to be solar, under heavy tree cover. Or I have to climb trees and mount a panel up high. Can be done. The battery goes bad, actuator goes bad, limit switches etc etc etc.

Non powered sounds better though. And good for a cheapskate who likes to make stuff in the shop. Maybe you tap the gate with the car bumper just enough to swing it open to a "latch". Then you drive farther and reach out the window and pull a latch release wire. And the gently angled/well greased hinges let the gate move easy/smooth/slow? There could be a gate release lever you run over with the tire.

This sounds like too much fun for me I'd better stop now.

/ Self-closing gravity gate (angled hinges) #20  
Here's a couple for you. Kinda fun to watch...