Seller Beware

/ Seller Beware #1  

Mudfarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3005, Kubota B2710, Kubota B2650 (sold the ford 1700 and kubota B7100)
I just posted my B2710 on Craigslist. Got the following response:

"From: Andy R Smith
Sat 2/25/2023 9:25 PM
I really appreciate your response.
The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Please respond as soon as possible with the information provided.
Full name
address, city state and zip code
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF

/ Seller Beware #2  
I just posted my B2710 on Craigslist. Got the following response:

"From: Andy R Smith
Sat 2/25/2023 9:25 PM
I really appreciate your response.
The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Please respond as soon as possible with the information provided.
Full name
address, city state and zip code
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
My wife got burned by a similar scheme when attempting to sell an antique bed. It is 100% a scam.

/ Seller Beware #4  
Yeah, probably a scam.

You could try and get their "cashiers check" and actually deposit it (I would set up another account specifically for this). Once it clears (if it does), take out all of the funds. If you actually get the funds, then no problem..... they can come for the tractor.

Just don't give them any personal info, just public record stuff like address and phone number. Definitely no account numbers etc....

/ Seller Beware #5  
How they got my wife was that they needed her to take some of the cash from the cashier's check to pay the carrier to deliver. She sent that out (against my advice, btw) and then the cashier's check was dishonored about a week later. (despite being 'confirmed' prior). You cannot deposit n the money and take it out. The bank can and will come after you for it.

Stay far away and report to whatever sites you are using. I am friends with one of our local SAIC for cyber crime (our daughters were in school together). You can also report to them. There is a chance they may be able to use you as bait.

/ Seller Beware #8  
maybe scam / maybe not. I would take it further if you want to sell.

In Canada at least, a cashier's check is a check guaranteed by the bank and drawn on the banks own funds to you (not buyers funds). So ask buyer to send you a picture of the bank draft. It will have Banks name, address, and its serial NUMBER, etc..... If the Bank draft is drawn on a recognizable American based Bank (not something like bank of hong kong or bank of malaysia which you cannot check on) you can simply phone the Bank to ensure that the bank draft number is legit and funds are truly in the Banks hands. Better yet the local branch in person.

If dealing with a recognizable bank with local offices (BOA, Wells, etc...) and bank can confirm THEY issued the draft you are safe. Would never touch it if cannot verify with local branch so buyer has to provide on appropriate bank. If bank is forgeign and check cannot be made then scam for sure.

I have done this many many times as some of my old stuff gets sold to people too far away to inspect but unique enough they are willing to trust and take a chance.

For sure 100% right to be worried just do your due diligence with the issuing bank. Now if paypal, private cheque, Vemo, etc... wouldn't touch it with a 10'pole.

Cashiers cheques on legit Banks that have a local branch near you that can be independently confirmed by you in person should be fine. Like 2 step verification.

/ Seller Beware #10  
The usual scam is over payment to cover the scammers 3rd party "shipping costs". Before the seller finds out that the cashier's check is fraudulent, they request that you forward the over payment somewhere (your money) and it's gone.

Seems odd that the potential scammer is only over paying by $70, but at some point he will be asking for $$$ to be sent, and you will lose it. My guess is that the 3rd party shipper overpayment will be mentioned when you respond.