Seller Beware

/ Seller Beware #101  
It has all the SCAM elements:
1) A story - I'm new, or it's for my cousin, or I'm a disabled veteran, or some tragedy has befallen me, or I'm working long hours away from home in Nunavut and there's no cell service or something else - nothing to do with the item being sold.
2) No discussion of price, other than he wants to pay extra
3) Nothing about item condition, age, other logical questions about what you might have had or didn't have in your ad.
4) Wants you to take the ad down from craigslist
5) No info about where the buyer is located - vs how practical it would be for him to pick up a large item.
6) Cashiers check - as many have noted they are forged all the time.
7) Cashiers check being shipped to you UPS next day. Who does this - anyone?

I strung one of these guys along for a while, had the cashiers check sent to Chris Myass with the address of the Sheriff's office. (I told them this was coming) Told the buyer I couldn't deposit the check right away because I live way out of town, then geez it's the weekend, and now whoops there's a federal holiday bank is closed etc. and kept this up until he quit contacting me.

Oh, and don't think these guys are paying postage on their own dime. I got sender info off the UPS next day package and contacted who allegedly sent it. They knew nothing of it but found it had been sent through their UPS account using their credit card on file.

Last edited:
   / Seller Beware #102  
That has SCAM written all over it. Don't worry real buyers will come later asking for a discount without any mention if payment method.
A REAL buyer always asks for a discount!

/ Seller Beware #104  
SCAM - don't reply at all, they need no information

/ Seller Beware #105  
My Craigslist selling policy. First person who shows up with cash gets it. I’ve waited on people before and they never showed. Or show up and start offering ridiculous low ball amounts. Meanwhile others have contacted me wanting to buy.

/ Seller Beware #107  
I just got taken by a "seller" for motorcycle parts. I thought I was scam savvy but They are so good at it. I sent the money, while they showed me a picture of them at the post office shipping my parts. Now all accounts and communications are "no longer available". Expensive lesson.

/ Seller Beware #108  
VERY common internet scam, says the guy who has been doing cybersecurity for the last 18 years. The payment regardless of method is bogus and takes upwards of a week before your bank realizes it and charges you back for the full amount plus fees. At that point your equipment is long gone and it is too late to do anything. You are left owing your bank for the full amount with no recourse.

Report him to Craigslist.

/ Seller Beware #109  
G
Bull, I still deal with checks quite often. Just payed for a tractor on delivery with a check. To damned much paranoia around spread by stories.
Good on you!!!

/ Seller Beware #110  
I just posted my B2710 on Craigslist. Got the following response:

"From: Andy R Smith
Sat 2/25/2023 9:25 PM
I really appreciate your response.
The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Please respond as soon as possible with the information provided.
Full name
address, city state and zip code
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
Definitely a scam.