Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #91  
When my field line was backing up and broaching the surface, I found out my field line ran under my driveway to my barn where my heavy equipment comes and goes. Since I had a backhoe and an excavator, I dug a hole for a second tank, then dug a new field line. Picked up a new 500 gallon for $500. Around $1000 in gravel, and around $150 for pipe and tar paper................and lots of grunt work.View attachment 494064

Heck, if nothing else, rent a loader/backhoe and dig your own field line longer, or run a T and a new leg of field line.
hugs, Brandi

I think he said he isn't allowed to do that on his own. It has to be installed by a licensed septic tank person ,and inspected.

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection
I think he said he isn't allowed to do that on his own. It has to be installed by a licensed septic tank person ,and inspected.
Right. They spell out every detail. Won't even let me use sand - has to be gravel which adds a lot of cost. Soil sand is 6 feet down so I have to fill to that with gravel - $8000 worth. Pump system, two tanks with settling chamber. Who cares, not inspector's money.

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #93  
But, lets say you questioned your bed's effectiveness last year. And so you dug and added to the field on your own. Then you covered, seeded, and continued to mow. Now this year you plan to move so you have the septic tested. Hmmm, passes fine.

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #94  
Right. They spell out every detail. Won't even let me use sand - has to be gravel which adds a lot of cost. Soil sand is 6 feet down so I have to fill to that with gravel - $8000 worth. Pump system, two tanks with settling chamber. Who cares, not inspector's money.
Sorry for you. I'm glad I live in Texas.
hugs, Brandi

But, lets say you questioned your bed's effectiveness last year. And so you dug and added to the field on your own. Then you covered, seeded, and continued to mow. Now this year you plan to move so you have the septic tested. Hmmm, passes fine.
Yea, I wish. Kicker is that it always worked perfectly fine for the two of us and I was confident it would pass.

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #96  
I guess your house is worth $23,000 more now that it has a new septic system. Raise the price and use that feature, no concerns about septic failing in a year or two down the road, new system just installed.

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #97  
I guess your house is worth $23,000 more now that it has a new septic system. Raise the price and use that feature, no concerns about septic failing in a year or two down the road, new system just installed.

I think earlier the op mentioned that the area he is in does not sell quickly, a buyers market. Sux but looks like he is stuck unless he passes on the sale.

I think earlier the op mentioned that the area he is in does not sell quickly, a buyers market. Sux but looks like he is stuck unless he passes on the sale.
Yea, we are closing in a few days. I'm stuck unless I back out and throw the dice that I could resell for more. Add $23,000 in granite counter tops and stainless appliances, you might get $20,000 back. Spend $23,000 on a new septic and buyers will say, "so what? This septic field won't impress my friends".

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #99  
Yea, we are closing in a few days. I'm stuck unless I back out and throw the dice that I could resell for more. Add $23,000 in granite counter tops and stainless appliances, you might get $20,000 back. Spend $23,000 on a new septic and buyers will say, "so what? This septic field won't impress my friends".
You are probably correct unless your neighborhood is "in demand" for whatever reason and your house is the only one with an upgraded septic. Kinda begs the question though...were your neighbors houses all built at around the same time and in similar soil conditions?

You are probably correct unless your neighborhood is "in demand" for whatever reason and your house is the only one with an upgraded septic. Kinda begs the question though...were your neighbors houses all built at around the same time and in similar soil conditions?
Yep, all about 50 years old. Probably all different sizes and qualities of field. Soil conditions seems to vary from lot to lot - it is hilly. And inspector said 50 years is as old as he has seen a system pass. Next door neighbor's passed and I realize now it was because the house was vacant for a couple months before the inspection.