Semi-New Member Returns after Building an ICF House

/ Semi-New Member Returns after Building an ICF House #11  
Like the picture. I am a Navy man myself. 1980 to 1984

/ Semi-New Member Returns after Building an ICF House
ZOOPAW,

Just left SW MN moving to NH in 2012, long winter for you folks up there. MN is where I found the benefits of ICF Construction with the -30 degrees during the winters + 25 mph winds. I switched from Marvin Windows used in MN to Pella's Architectural Series becasue of the design of the inter-locking lower sash. About the Navy, I was a Surface Sailor from 1972-1980 stationed in Pearl on DDG-20 & DDG-22, then to Dam Neck Va. Bch and then off again on FFG-8 built in Bath, ME ported in Mayport (9 years active). I stayed in the Reserves until 1997 Retiring as an E-8. While in civilian employment I became involved with Subs hence the Picture of the official US Navy Jack, "Don't Tread on Me" shown on a fast attack sub.

/ Semi-New Member Returns after Building an ICF House #13  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Projects forum. :)

/ Semi-New Member Returns after Building an ICF House #14  
Good to hear from you Senior Chief!! This past winter is one for the books!! Can't remember when it was this cold. I was really hoping to get myself a utility tractor with loader and / or blower. My neighbor has a John Deere 2720 with a rear mounted blower. Came to our rescue after our Ariens blower went down. I was just blown away on how well it worked. We had some drifts over 5' and very well packed in. Pushed right through every one of them. Even with regular turf tires.

As to the Navy, went in after being out of school for just about a year. Just needed to get away and do something else and real. Small town America was getting to me in a bad way. Went to Great Lakes for boot, Then off to the west coast. Stationed on USS Samuel Gompers AD-37 Spent all my time on her. Made 2 West-Pac cruises and became friends with some great people. Never will forget all the good times!! Did enough full time to not have to do any reserves but did a year doing that. Not for me. Got out E-5.

Need a good tractor that will last long enough to get me into my easy years. ( whenever they come around )

/ Semi-New Member Returns after Building an ICF House #15  
Thank you. Glad to be here.

/ Semi-New Member Returns after Building an ICF House #16  
Re: 2013 Insulating Concrete Form (ICF) Project

CONTNUED........... IMAGE # 3814 depicts the completion of the Basement Level ICF Stack (9" ceiling height) with a view of the Walk-Out Basement; all other walls below grade. For waterproofing, coating of TAMKO TWP-2 Water-Based Primer then TAMKO's peal and stick TW-60. As a final layer I added a sheet of TAMKO 15mil Vapor Barrier with seams taped. Below Grade and rear walk-out ICF walls #4 rebar horizontally/continuous with the appropriate overlap splice in each course and tied. #4 rebar installed vertically throughout depending on the wall location and PCA-100 load calculations. Stirrups, #5 rebar and various custom bends ordered from a local steel company. IMAGE # 4014 shows the addition of the 1st or Main Floor (10' Ceiling Height). You can see the Window and Door Bucks, the beginning of the 1st 10" thick Retaining Walls to the right and the Stego Wrap is clearly seen to the left over TAMKO. The Floor Trusses are 20" Open Web Design to allow for easy HVAC runs, Top Bearing Cord resting on LVL Ledger Board tied to the poured ICF walls using Simpson Strong Tie's ICFVL Ledger Connector System. IMAGE # 4054, just an inside view of the Vertical Bracing screwed into the floor trusses over on top of the sheathing to allow for 1st floor ICF Block Installation. IMAGE # 4253 depicts the front elevation of the house, I used HB&G's 12 inch PermaCast Structural Load Bearing (18,000 lbs max) Columns on both the front and rear elevations, double stacked in the rear. In this PIC the hip roof trusses and front gable are visible. IMAGE # 4499 is the Rear Elevation as we scrambled to get everything primed and painted with a finish coat, 90% Finish Coat complete before the winter. For the exterior envelope I used all the primed James Hardie products, i.e., vented and unvented soffit, lap siding, etc. Also used AZEK and BORAL Truexterior material for trim + AERATIS T&G Decking for the rear porch. Before the siding was applied, at top of Stego and TAMKO waterproofing to planned bottom of lap siding I applied STYRO Industries TUFF II Pre-Mixed Coating over their fiberglass mesh. I used it on my previous build and had no problems. James Hardie was installed over the ICF Blocks using Simpson Strong Tie's Simpson DSVT212S #10 x 2-1/2" QuikDrive Collated DSV Decking Screws @ spacing every 12". All cuts in the Hardie products were primed and lap siding butt joints flashed. IMAGE # 4505 Front Elevation and ready for finish coat once we get through this too long winter. So, long story short (if there can be one) if anyone plans on building an ICF Structure please don't hesitate to ask any questions. As you can see my April '13 thru October '13 Build was fun filled
Very nice,I like it.You did a outstanding job.

/ Semi-New Member Returns after Building an ICF House #17  
Three words from an old Vietnam Shellback - WOW. That'd be pronounced, wow. Wha' a house! I'm like old Eddie, like to see other people trying all this newfangled stuff, but, hopefully, me house building days are gone. So, srid, all those foam blocks are filled with concrete eh? I reckon that oughta hold up.

/ Semi-New Member Returns after Building an ICF House
MacLawn,

Yes a proud member of the Pineapple Fleet, a true pollywag wacked by a many shellbacks carrying shellalees (cut fire hoses) while crawling on my hands and knees at o'dark thirty (4AM) up to the focsle for a salt water washdown, to kiss the baby's belly, administered truth serum and crawl thru the garbage shute containing cured garbage and that foam solution for firefighting, all of course when things weren't so politically correct. Had visible bruises on my backside from the shellalee strikes for some time. I was an RD turned OS and sitting on watch for 8 hours was painful. Went right thru the toes of my new boondockers on that decktread but all-n-all for those who have experienced it,a great initiation to go thru, still have my certificate from the Goldy DDG-20.

/ Semi-New Member Returns after Building an ICF House #19  
Incredible job:thumbsup: I have a friend that used ICF to build a home in Colorado and it also turned out great. I was thinking of using it to build a storm shelter, kept thinking if it would be more difficult, then I see your monstrous undertaking, now my project seems insignificant.

/ Semi-New Member Returns after Building an ICF House #20  
Awesome build! That construction method is top notch.

In my buddy's neighborhood, one of the houses was built this way. Very nice house. They went to move and can't get near what they paid to have it built. It is quite a bit more expensive than the houses around it.

If I was building a house to live in for the rest of my life I would consider it for sure. Might be hard to get your money back if you went to sell.

Nothing negative implied here. There are always pro's and con's to everything.

A lot of times I will spend more on a project to do it a certain way. Your personal happiness is priceless.