septic sense ???

/ septic sense ??? #31  
Randy, once when I was in Alaska, I went fishing on a 42' boat that belonged to a friend of my brother's and in the head there was a nice placard that said, "Please don't put anything in the toilet that you haven't eaten first!" Maybe that's what we need to do for our septic systems?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ septic sense ??? #32  
Thanks for the laugh, Bird! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

tractor.gif

/ septic sense ??? #33  
I talked to a septic installer when we bought our house and he sent me some guidelines and helpful hints that were from the state regarding septic systems. They recommend similar things as above: limit the amount of stuff that goes down the disposal, get the tank cleaned regularly and more often with more people in the house. They even say to reasonably limit the amount of water, etc. that goes down the drain per day. In other words don't do all the laundry plus the dishes and several baths, showers etc. in a short time.
18-64320-TractorsigK.JPG

/ septic sense ??? #34  
OK, I've decided to get my tank pumped - - its been about 5-6 years, so from what I read, I'm due. And, you've convinced me that additives are a waste of money - - the natural bacteria should do the job on its own.

Here's a question that I'm unsure of - - do any of the root killers that I see in stores work? I know the field should be away from trees, but I'm stuck with what was here when we bought the house, & there are bunches of trees all around the tank and the field. Anyone have any experience on this?

thanx

/ septic sense ??? #35  
Tdog,

Cut the dang things down!! Take a look at the limbs hanging from the tree. If they are over your tank and field, there's a good chance that the roots have migrated to all of that yummy septic effluent.

We HAD (key word here) a Cottonwood tree that was 15-20 feet away from the septic field. Should have taken it out when we cleared the lot, but it looked "nice". After 11 years of filter clogging cotton and all of the small branches shed, it was time!! One of my neighbors came over and took it out.

Well, the "funny" part of this story is that quarts of water poured out of that tree right after it was cut. And, it kinda smelled. Hmmmm.... wonder why? /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Needless to say, no more problems. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I guess what I'm trying to convey is get rid of the trees around the septic tank and field. As far as using some kind of chemical additivie, I can't comment on that. My take on using chemicals is to use them as the last resort.

Terry

/ septic sense ??? #36  
Maybe that's why they call it a field system and not a woods system.

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-72852-2500bx65.jpg

/ septic sense ??? #37  
Bout the only chemical additive that really works for tree roots in a septic system is called RotoRooter.
The best part is you can use Roto Rooter over and over till you remove the tree.