Service truck business

/ Service truck business #1  

RyanL

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1540 4wd,loader, R-4s
Hi, guys i dont know if this is in the right forum or not. But im
Kicking around the idea of setting a service truck up. I'm wanting to start my own business, and build a solid truck. im wanting to do sumthing lil more satisfing and hopefully make lil more money. And get in on the big oil boom coming to ohio in my area. I can also get work subcontracting back to my current employer and service the mining equipment. I feel i do have some talent and got a pretty gd reputation around here from my previous side work of farm equipment and what not. The truck i would be putting a bed on is a 96 ford l9000 single axle 4x4 semi 35,000gvw truck i own. The truck had a service bed on it at one point but never got used it was setup a dealer but i bought as cab and chassis. I then took the 14ft dump bed off a old R-model mack i had and cut it down to 10ft and put new floor etc. Ill post couple pics of what it looked like with service bed and what it currently is now with dump. I only use the truck currently for personal use as dump truck. Im a equipment operator by trade but have schooling in diesel mechanics and have experience helping my uncle in his welding business. He has done everything from shortening/legthening semi's to building rollcages for right-a-way tractors. I also have my experiences that range from completely tearing down a 1010 dozer and doing complete rebuild in my garage to building a custom forklift as seen in a forum on here. But anyways what u guys think, service truck gd or bad move?

image-3767013133.png
The dump bed is what the truck currently is. It no longer has service bed so i would have to buy or possible thinking bout building one and buy a crane for it.

Attachments

• image-760489235.png
    image-760489235.png
    618.9 KB · Views: 752
  • image-2406547611.png
    image-2406547611.png
    814.6 KB · Views: 570
   / Service truck business #2  
I work at a Mack/Volvo/Isuzu dealership and one of our mechanics left to do his own thing...bought a service truck (no crane) and stays very busy.

New trucks are insanely expensive and a lot of people are keeping what they have so repairs would be more frequent (at least non-warranty stuff). I think you're on the right track :)

IMT makes a good service body

/ Service truck business
schoolsout said:
I work at a Mack/Volvo/Isuzu dealership and one of our mechanics left to do his own thing...bought a service truck (no crane) and stays very busy.

New trucks are insanely expensive and a lot of people are keeping what they have so repairs would be more frequent (at least non-warranty stuff). I think you're on the right track :)

IMT makes a good service body

The coal mining company i currently work for runs alot older equipment and has had few service guys retire. He has mentioned hiring sub contractors as opposed to him owning the trucks which are getting old. I priced a new maintainer brand bed like what was on the truck in the pics. $70,000-90,000 for a 11ft body with a 14,000lb crane and a Miller enpak setup with a 4cyl engine that runs crane,40cfm rotary screw compressor,6,000watt generator. So u dnt have idle truck all the time. I been thinking i could build a pretty decent body over the winter cheaper than 90k lol. I could also find a used one but odds are it aint what i want.

/ Service truck business #4  
Ryan, I wish I could remember the site...maybe someone else on here can help...There was an internet site that had government surplus trucks and machinery for bid and they were going for give away...I mean dirt cheap prices and it was legitimate...They had all kinds of equipment and I remember seeing trucks with service bodies and cranes like you are talking about...You might want to do some Google searches for " Government surplus trucks and equipment " or other searches like that and I will bet you find something you can modify with not too much trouble that will fix you up real inexpensively...Good Luck..your venture sounds like a good idea.

I just want to add that ..the internet site I saw had government surplus for sale not just the whole trucks but they also had what you may need for the body you want on your truck...In other words you could find the pieces you need to finish your truck like you want it ...or you might find a deal on the whole truck that you like and then you could sell yours...

/ Service truck business #5  
I know a couple of guys who have done this on big rigs that break down on the highway and around town. They do everything from tire repairs, to AC and mostly figuring out why it wont run.

Problems all I hear about, but maybe there is a good side. It's a 24 hour business. Expect a lot of sleepless nights, and being out in the weather, working on it. Down time means they are losing money, so they don't want to hear about why you can't get there, it's all about fixing it and fixing it fast. Nobody calls with anything good to say, it's always a problem.

Payment is another concern. They don't have it on them when you fix it, so you are always trying to get paid, and out the cost of parts a lot of the time. An account with a business doesn't mean they pay any faster. Some only pay at the end of the month, so you are always waiting. One guy that I'm thinking of said that he is always out about $30,000 waiting on it to come in. He does more work, but only gets paid so much at a time, and that's about what he says is the average he's owed by everyone combined.

My own experience is that it's almost impossible to find somebody to come out and fix my equipment when it's broken. I think there would be a HUGE demand for somebody who is good, reliable and friendly. I just wonder if it's a lifestyle that is worth the effort?

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Service truck business #6  
Ryan, I wish I could remember the site...maybe someone else on here can help...There was an internet site that had government surplus trucks and machinery for bid and they were going for give away...I mean dirt cheap prices and it was legitimate...They had all kinds of equipment and I remember seeing trucks with service bodies and cranes like you are talking about...You might want to do some Google searches for " Government surplus trucks and equipment " or other searches like that and I will bet you find something you can modify with not too much trouble that will fix you up real inexpensively...Good Luck..your venture sounds like a good idea.

I just want to add that ..the internet site I saw had government surplus for sale not just the whole trucks but they also had what you may need for the body you want on your truck...In other words you could find the pieces you need to finish your truck like you want it ...or you might find a deal on the whole truck that you like and then you could sell yours...

The mechanic that left our dealership bought a '98 GMC 7500 with CAT power and 13' Service Body for $13k...truck had less than 100k miles and was used by local utility company. Munis/Utility companies are good places to start looking. Usually, they have been fairly well maintained.

/ Service truck business
Thanks for the info so far guys. I will look for the surplus website. I'm pretty sure i'll keep my truck for a chassis. Its a 96' with only 84,000 miles its a ex goverenment truck. It has a factory marmon herrington all-wheel drive conversion. All air controls locking 2wd/4wd, high/low t-case, locking rear diff. 12k front axle,23k rear. Cat 3306 with 2 stage jake, 9spd trans. Other words its the perfect chassis to build a service truck on to get into well locations or bore around coal mine, lol

/ Service truck business #8  
The mechanic that left our dealership bought a '98 GMC 7500 with CAT power and 13' Service Body for $13k...truck had less than 100k miles and was used by local utility company. Munis/Utility companies are good places to start looking. Usually, they have been fairly well maintained.

Exactly right...our local EMC sells their lightly used service trucks from time to time...I forgot about that ..Ryan should check not only his local utilities but those in surrounding areas and states..bound to find what he needs at a good price.

/ Service truck business #9  
Ryan,
Sounds like you have the perfect cab/chasis. I'd do just what you're doing. Keep looking for a body and/or crane to fit your truck. OR.... if you could buy another service truck with the body and crane you want cheap enough, you could use the body and crane and then sell the other truck as a cab/chasis to recoup at least part of your money.

I was a self employed diesel mechanic for nearly 15 years. I worked on timber harvesting equip and site prep machinery.

I was very lucky. I only got stiffed on one job. I built up a clientele of dependable and reliable, good paying customers and focused on keeping them running and keeping them happy. I would take on smaller jobs or jobs for people I didn't know well, when I had time, but I always stayed focused on my main customers.

My advice to you is always be honest with your customers and don't promise more than you can deliver. Don't tell them you'll be there tomorrow and then not show and not call. Give yourself a little leeway in your schedule. They'd rather be expecting you Thursday afternoon and have you show up Thursday morning than the other way around.

Good luck!
Mark

Last edited:
   / Service truck business
Thanks for the advice mark. Im just kinda nervous bout everything still. I've heard both sides good and bad. So far jus been honest with the people i have done work for in the past and they come back when they need somthing. So i agree honesty is best. Im jus hoping i can get in at the right time. Im hoping i can aim on the older equipment repair and some welding/fabrication jobs. I dont have the knowledge or technolgy to work on this new stuff. Thats what worries me