Setting valves on YM2000

/ Setting valves on YM2000 #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
I am going to set my valves when I get a chance. I have referred to Hoyes page on how to do it and will follow the directions they list. But my question is should this be done on a cold or warm engine or does it mater?

Link to Hoyes direction on setting valves.Easiest way to set the valves on your Yanmar

/ Setting valves on YM2000 #2  
Most everything I ever work on with solid lifters says to do it cold.

/ Setting valves on YM2000 #3  
I have always set all my solid and hydraulic lifters engines Cold... Because when you build a engine you have to set all the valves right before you can start it or make it run...

/ Setting valves on YM2000 #5  
Cold!! I've been setting valves the way Hoye's Site describes how to for Yrs.....

/ Setting valves on YM2000
well cold it is.

Anyone remember off the top of the head the size of the crank socket? Seems like i remember reading 22 or 24?

/ Setting valves on YM2000 #8  
I am going to set my valves when I get a chance. I have referred to Hoyes page on how to do it and will follow the directions they list. But my question is should this be done on a cold or warm engine or does it mater?

Link to Hoyes direction on setting valves.Easiest way to set the valves on your Yanmar

I did this service, and it was a complete waste of time and effort. It was a continuous process of getting under the front of the tractor, turning the crank nut, getting up to see if the valves were in the correct position to measure, getting back down, etc., etc., etc......... Unless you are having a problem, I would not recommend adjusting. If you do perform this service, you will find out what I am talking about. One of my tractors has more than 1000 hours, and the valve clearances were only slightly out. I adjusted, and I did not notice one bit of difference in performance. In my observations, these engines do ping at low RPM no matter what.

/ Setting valves on YM2000
i know they ping but was just going to do it. I dont set valves on anything else but figured this was simple so i would do it.

So you cant get your hand in there from the top and see the valves move? seems like you could, myabe remove the side panel?:confused3:

/ Setting valves on YM2000 #10  
You can remove the top valve cover, and you will see the rocker arms, adjusting screws, springs, top of the rods, and top of the valves. However, you can not see the actual valves, as they are working at opening and closing inside the cylinder head. DO NOT REMOVE CYLINDER HEAD!!! Also, do not start-up tractor with valve cover removed unless you want to get squirted all over with oil.