Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,291  
Grandson sent this picture to me a few minutes ago he said the hub was still smoking. Looks like a bad day.
I had a similar experience on Interstate 80 at freeway speed in an early IH Scout (basically, quarter ton Jeep running gear). The load was office furnishings and didn't weigh very much. A fluorescent fixture, chair, etc. I don't think I was overweight. The rear axle snapped at the wheel bearing and the wheel/tire wedged upright under the chassis for a moment leaving me looking nose down at the pavement, then swerving as I slid along on the chassis at 65 mph with no brakes. I got out and engaged the front hubs to drag it off the road. Boss accused me of doing something wrong to his toy but I hadn't loaded it, not my problem. A scary experience in freeway traffic.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,292  
I can't tell if the axle failed or if the wheel just fell off. Either way, it would have been cheaper to make two trips without overloading the truck. They MAY have been Ok with just the pickup bed of wood, but the trailer is another load of it's own.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,295  
Nice try, but that was well before Fiat.

Besides its a Dana axle anyways.
Daimler-Chrysler was just as bad. Now we have Pugeot and Chrysler is no more. Now, it's Stellantis or some such.

Sure about the Dana part?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,296  
I can't tell if the axle failed or if the wheel just fell off. Either way, it would have been cheaper to make two trips without overloading the truck. They MAY have been Ok with just the pickup bed of wood, but the trailer is another load of it's own.
It was going to fail sooner or later. Better on a surface street at lower speed than on a freeway at higher speed and a lot of traffic.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,297  
Daimler-Chrysler was just as bad. Now we have Pugeot and Chrysler is no more. Now, it's Stellantis or some such.

Sure about the Dana part?
Depends on the model/version, the 1500 had chrysler 9.25 rear with Dana 44 front, the 2500 light duty had the same depending on year and the 2500 hd had Dana front and rear, anything from the 60 to the 80.

Thought the 1 visible wheel was from a 3rd gen 2500, but looking at it again it could be a 2nd gen sport style wheel from a 1500 so possibly a 9.25.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,298  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,299  
I suspect it was more the tide and the tugs than him but he did move a lot of sand.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,300  
Suez excavator operator interview.

Bruce
Something interesting I hadn't realized: The ship has some 50+ of depth beneath the water. He said he was looking up 20 ft to the ship's normal waterline, indicated by algae or something. It had apparently partly climbed the bank as it rammed it at 13 knots. He had a real fear it could flop over on him as he removed the clay holding it up.
...factor that drained any humor from the situation for him was how frightening it was to be underneath the enormous vessel, he said.

From his estimation, the Ever Given was lodged about 6 meters higher than where it would naturally float, and his job was to pry at the rock and mud encasing it. He said he had a very real fear that instead of refloating the ship, he would destabilize it, causing it to topple onto him.

"If you see the size of the ship, and you see the size of the excavator, it is absolutely terrifying," he said. Another two workers in excavators, who arrived at the scene a couple of days in, were too scared to work directly beneath the ship, Abdel-Gawad said.

Instead, they worked to ferry the excavated material away from where he had piled it up. Somehow, by default, it became his job ...

The guy is a world hero but he still doesn't realize it.