Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,901  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,902  
Saw this on line:

According to the Minnesota State Patrol: "Ford F350 towing a 5th wheel camper and a trailer with a boat was northbound on Hwy 169 near Rum River Drive N when it lost control and started to spin.

"The camper and trailer disconnected from the truck and all 3 spun and rolled going off road to the right and coming to rest on the shoulder and in the ditch. The truck came to rest on its roof. The truck started on fire as the driver and passenger were able to get out with non-life threatening injuries."
AB07B8D6-6524-49E1-99E5-8FFC143B9C09.png

C453B352-B04B-4DA3-BF1D-E53E79102BB7.png

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,903  
^^^
I wonder if piggybacking's legal in Minnesota.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,904  
Saw this on line:

According to the Minnesota State Patrol: "Ford F350 towing a 5th wheel camper and a trailer with a boat was northbound on Hwy 169 near Rum River Drive N when it lost control and started to spin.

"The camper and trailer disconnected from the truck and all 3 spun and rolled going off road to the right and coming to rest on the shoulder and in the ditch. The truck came to rest on its roof. The truck started on fire as the driver and passenger were able to get out with non-life threatening injuries."
View attachment 707592
View attachment 707593
Single cab(? maybe extended cab), shortbed 350 towing a double? what could possibly have gone wrong. Hope everyone is okay.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,905  
^^^
I wonder if piggybacking's legal in Minnesota.
Even if it is with that size boat and firth wheel travel trailer I'm thinking he was now where close to legal GCWR.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,907  
Even if it is with that size boat and firth wheel travel trailer I'm thinking he was now where close to legal GCWR.
Up to 23000 lbs, depending on cofiguration. The truck's around 6500, boat might be two tons? I have no idea what that 5th wheel weighs.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,908  
Up to 23000 lbs, depending on cofiguration. The truck's around 6500, boat might be two tons? I have no idea what that 5th wheel weighs.
Google says the average 24' fifth wheel is 12k dry weight. So 6.5k+4k+12K=22.5K estimated not including cargo. I'm still betting he was over, dual axle trailer for the boat makes me think boat trailer alone is pushing 1.5-2k.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,909  
Google says the average 24' fifth wheel is 12k dry weight. So 6.5k+4k+12K=22.5K estimated not including cargo. I'm still betting he was over, dual axle trailer for the boat makes me think boat trailer alone is pushing 1.5-2k.
My brother was in the Coast Guard auxiliary, patrolling some lane out in Arizona. His 24' boat and trailer combined were around 3000#, which is why I guessed two tons. Boat trailers aren't like those made for hauling cars and equipment; they are a lot lighter for their size, compared to those designed for hauling cars and/or equipment.

It doesn't really matter, the guy's bumming now because his vacation started with a bang. At least nobody was seriously hurt... sheet metal and plastic can be repaired or replaced.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,910  

A fiberglass boat like that is probably over 4,000 itself, not including trailer. A friend just got a 21' fiberglass fishing boat that is over 5500# before fuel and livewell.

A Springdale camper like that is probably closer to 6,000 dry weight.

I would bet the overall setup is NOT above the weight capacity, but with a fairly light camper and fairly heavy boat it may have been a poor choice.

Rob