Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,711  
What in the f$^&%g world do these extreme furniture haulers do this for? Must be 100+ pics like this across the web. Someone moving a household across state lines or something? Sometimes you see a truck with a dozen used couches on it. How can that possibly have enough value to make it worth the loading job? I'm truly baffled by these displays of stupidity.
People are loading up to get out of California

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,712  
What in the f$^&%g world do these extreme furniture haulers do this for? Must be 100+ pics like this across the web. Someone moving a household across state lines or something? Sometimes you see a truck with a dozen used couches on it. How can that possibly have enough value to make it worth the loading job? I'm truly baffled by these displays of stupidity.
It's poverty and/or the lack of thinking things completely through.
You and I both know that spending $20 on a u-haul van and making two trips is worth it, but if you don't have $20 in your pocket and someone's offering you $100 to move all that crap, you just might do it - despite the likelihood of disaster on the trip, desperation keeps people from thinking of the whole picture.

Poverty is really really expensive. Many of us here spend a good chunk on a tractor because we know it's an investment that's going to pay off in the ability to get a lot more done. However, it takes up-front resources. Same with a good pair of leather boots - they cost twice as much and last five times as long, so it's a no-brainer to buy them - but what if literally all you can afford is the cheaper pair? You need boots, you buy what you can buy, even though you know it's going to cost more in the long run - if that's all the money you've got, it's all you can spend.

I see the overloaded cars and think it's ridiculous, but that's *and here's the word that's going to piss half of TBN off* privilege speaking. I remember growing up with the shitty car, getting stuck on the side of the road on any trip that takes us just too far out of town with either engine trouble or bad tires or what, but it's all we could afford, because we had to eat too and you can't eat a reliable car, and damn am I glad I've got that privilege now but I do remember what it was like to be that guy (though I was a kid so didn't have to make those terrible decisions of "do it the crappy way so i can eat, or ...???", I just got to live through it all)

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,716  
You and I both know that spending $20 on a u-haul van and making two trips is worth it, but if you don't have $20 in your pocket and someone's offering you $100 to move all that crap, you just might do it - despite the likelihood of disaster on the trip, desperation keeps people from thinking of the whole picture.

Poverty is really really expensive. Many of us here spend a good chunk on a tractor because we know it's an investment that's going to pay off in the ability to get a lot more done. However, it takes up-front resources. Same with a good pair of leather boots - they cost twice as much and last five times as long, so it's a no-brainer to buy them - but what if literally all you can afford is the cheaper pair? You need boots, you buy what you can buy, even though you know it's going to cost more in the long run - if that's all the money you've got, it's all you can spend.

I see the overloaded cars and think it's ridiculous, but that's *and here's the word that's going to piss half of TBN off* privilege speaking. I remember growing up with the shitty car, getting stuck on the side of the road on any trip that takes us just too far out of town with either engine trouble or bad tires or what, but it's all we could afford, because we had to eat too and you can't eat a reliable car, and damn am I glad I've got that privilege now but I do remember what it was like to be that guy (though I was a kid so didn't have to make those terrible decisions of "do it the crappy way so i can eat, or ...???", I just got to live through it all)
Or just plain stupidity…….

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,717  

Wrong is wrong and stupid choices are stupid choices. Doesn't matter whether they had the ability to do something differently because of money or not, it's a bad choice versus not doing it. Rolling out this 'privilege' argument just excuses bad behavior that shouldn't be exused. I can't buy a Ferrari because I can't afford it, but robbing a bank to get the money for one isn't a solid plan. I don't buy a Ferrari. You function within all the boundaries that you have, regardless of whether that is money or laws or whatever. "Woe is me" does not excuse things.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,720  

I agree with you to a point, but to blame it all on poverty and/or lack of privilege is taking the easy way out. Yes, I'm sure some of it is not being able to afford to do it right, some of it just a "git 'er done" approach, and some is just cluelessness.
Curiously, where were you able to rent a U Haul van anytime in the last 40-odd years for $20?