Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,911  
Around here, cedar is used almost exclusively as sleepers, logs placed on the dirt for stacking better logs onto and keeping the good stuff off the ground. 😛 Other than cedar closets, it's trash wood.

If cedar were still allowed to grow large enough before harvesting, to waste off the sapwood and mill only heartwood, it would still be good for outdoor furniture and decking. But that hasn't been the case for nearly 30 years in this country. Nearly all cedar harvested and milled since the late 1990's is almost entirely sapwood, as prone to rot as any cheap softwood. Junk.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,912  
Around here, cedar is used almost exclusively as sleepers, logs placed on the dirt for stacking better logs onto and keeping the good stuff off the ground. 😛 Other than cedar closets, it's trash wood.

If cedar were still allowed to grow large enough before harvesting, to waste off the sapwood and mill only heartwood, it would still be good for outdoor furniture and decking. But that hasn't been the case for nearly 30 years in this country. Nearly all cedar harvested and milled since the late 1990's is almost entirely sapwood, as prone to rot as any cheap softwood. Junk.
What about cedar shakes for siding?
There's a mill in NEK Vermont that advertises cedar log home kits.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,913  
What about cedar shakes for siding?
There's a mill in NEK Vermont that advertises cedar log home kits.
Same. The old ones were great, but the new stuff you'll find at many lumber yards and building supplies is mostly garbage. I live in an old house, we actually have two cedar shake roofs, and we also used to own a cedar shake sided house many years ago.

And I'm not saying all modern cedar is garbage, I'm sure there are still specialty sellers who follow the traditional course of wasting off the sapwood and using only the heartwood. But what you will find at most lumber yards or building supply yards in the last 20-30 years, contains so much sapwood that your yield when selecting and using the stuff would be impractically low, if seeking only heartwood.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,914  
Nice, what is the intended use of the cedar?
There are a lot of cedar mills up this way, sawing anything from lumber to log cabins to shingles. Generally we only can cut it in winter, and right now it's in high demand.

That load MAY have been legal but the way the trailer was swaying as he drove down the road at 35mph with the 4 ways going, he probably was overloaded.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,915  
I did it to myself a few days ago. I bent the top edge of my tailgate turning to sharp with the tailgate down. I’ve been having problems with my back up camera off and on for a year but it’s been fine lately. I now realize the tailgate camera was showing a closeup of the front of the trailer. I found a used tailgate in the same color for $765 that i will hopefully get today.
IMG_2766.jpeg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,916  
Ouch, that hurts, I can see it happening tho.
Friend of mine brought his 10' utility trailer to work one morning behind his 2 week old Chevy 1500. He pulled in front of the spot and backed in forgetting he had the trailer on and jack knifed it into his bumper and fender to the tune of $2500.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,917  
I did it to myself a few days ago. I bent the top edge of my tailgate turning to sharp with the tailgate down. I’ve been having problems with my back up camera off and on for a year but it’s been fine lately. I now realize the tailgate camera was showing a closeup of the front of the trailer. I found a used tailgate in the same color for $765 that i will hopefully get today.
Yup. Did the same thing with mine about 10 years ago. My truck predates backup cameras and I had the tailgate down to see it better. The jack cleared the tailgate on shallow turns, but (as I discovered the hard way) not on a sharper one.

Bet we're not the only ones here who've done that. :(

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,918  
Yuuuup! Stock trailer took out ours on the farm.
I hate those style jacks although I know they're stronger.
Still, all my trailers have the side mount flip up. Rarely are they loaded and setting on the jack.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,919  
Yup. Did the same thing with mine about 10 years ago. My truck predates backup cameras and I had the tailgate down to see it better. The jack cleared the tailgate on shallow turns, but (as I discovered the hard way) not on a sharper one.

Bet we're not the only ones here who've done that. :(

You're certainly not, lol.

Speaking of trucks with backup cameras; my wife got a good view of what the camera shows with the tailgate down. She did not find looking at the ground under the truck to be helpful.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,920  
I wonder why a truck manufacturer hasn't come up with a multi-view tailgate camera system that has a lens in the normal handle location and another in the top edge of the tailgate. It could auto-sense the tailgate orientation and automatically stream the proper view angle. Maybe I should patent that... :)