Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,481  
that looks like a frame mount reciever.. as long as he stays under his tow rating? 1000/2000 #? That should be fine and legal. You know. a sheet or 2 of plywood, some garbage cans. Even a lawnmower and weed eater.. etc.

It's not like it's one of those 'chain around the bumper' lock on jobs.....

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,482  
If there is an upside, that's it. I have found lots of good stuff on the interstate over the years. Lots of plywood, tools, good steel, etc.

One thing I haven't seen here is any photos of someone pulling a (too tall) travel trailer that either took down a gas station canopy or perhaps just ripped the air conditioning unit off the trailer.

Google durham bridge. there's a ton of videos of people ripping off ac units and getting stuck under a bridge.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,483  
Miata equipped with the new towing package.

View attachment 445180

I am not seeing any trailer light wiring.

I installed a receiver hitch on our 2013 Corolla. When I bought the Corolla most of the reviews online said it had a 1500 lb tow rating, but the manual in the glove box sez no towing.

I did not set-up trailer light wiring- the recommended system picks up it's signals from the car taillight wiring, but actually draws current from a wire directly to the battery.

Have not towed a trailer with it but did haul a 1975 Schwinn le tour on a bike rack the last time we went to Florida.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,484  
Towing vary's buy country...

Many models that routinely tow in other countries and often with manufacturer sourced tow kits and hitches say no towing in the United States.

The BMW 325 series and especially the wagon make great little tow cars anywhere but North America.

One thing to remember is the gearing on many small cars is designed for max fuel economy and towing capability may be limited.

My brother towed his 600 pound zodiac boat and trailer all over with a Honda Accord...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,485  
Towing vary's buy country...

Many models that routinely tow in other countries and often with manufacturer sourced tow kits and hitches say no towing in the United States.

The BMW 325 series and especially the wagon make great little tow cars anywhere but North America.

One thing to remember is the gearing on many small cars is designed for max fuel economy and towing capability may be limited.

My brother towed his 600 pound zodiac boat and trailer all over with a Honda Accord...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,486  
U-Haul sells frame hitches for all sorts of cars designated by the manufacturers as not suitable for towing - Prius for example. U-Haul's insurance carrier wouldn't let them, if there were frequent negative consequences.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,487  
No picture but person was hauling an ATV with 5 bungie cords... 2 in front 2 in back 1 over seat. I thought maybe he used his winch in the front but no it had a plow on it.. So yeah... 5 bungie cords.. talk about safety. If i was a cop i'd pull over every idiot hauling something wrong.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,488  
If i was a cop i'd pull over every idiot hauling something wrong.
Agree, but I've never seen that happen. People towing at 70 when trailers are limited to 55, ridiculous loads, poor condition, I've never seen one pulled over except where the cop seems to be assisting a disabled (but conforming) vehicle. This must be a low priority for law enforcement.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,489  
U-Haul sells frame hitches for all sorts of cars designated by the manufacturers as not suitable for towing - Prius for example. U-Haul's insurance carrier wouldn't let them, if there were frequent negative consequences.

But yet, to this day, U-Haul won't rent you a trailer for an Explorer due to the Firestone tire fiasco.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,490  
But yet, to this day, U-Haul won't rent you a trailer for an Explorer due to the Firestone tire fiasco.
Yeah that was a mess.

Aside from that era of exploding tires, is there something about the handling of an Explorer that is unusually unstable with a trailer attached? Short wheelbase and soft springs, or something?