Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,911  
Took this pic at my local Home Depot 2 or 3 weeks ago. It was taken just before the driver had secured the load. Not sure HOW he secured it, but we all know that even if you use the nylon straps with ratchets to cinch the load down, you can (and most likely will have some loose boards in the middle). The pressure from the straps doesn't always transfer downward in a linear fashion to each board. I just hope he didn't have to make any sudden stops on the way home.

I once saw an 18 wheeler hauling a load of lumber with the stack extending above the trucks cab. He had to make a sudden stop at a redlight, and I watched as several pieces of lumber slid over the top of the cab and landed on the road in front of him.

View attachment 455572

I've done that without problem a number of times. No other way to transport >8ft lumber without a truck or big trailer. Key is not to simply use straps that go side to side over the load but additionally to use a separate ratchet strap that circles the load and compresses it. Having an extra board at the top of the bundle insures that the compression will secure the middle of the pile. I use one compression strap for each bundle of maybe 8-10 lengths of 2x4 so sometimes two or three are needed. The compression straps don't even need to be attached to the vehicle although I do run them under the crossbars if I can. The side to side straps then hold the load just fine.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,912  
He must have some heavy stuff inside the hatch because he sure is low in the backend. Unless of course he has a wimpy suspension on that Blazer. :confused2:

I have racks on my wagon but I prefere to run the straps through the door frames.Much more solid and I can see they are tight and ratchet them while driving.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,913  
I have racks on my wagon but I prefere to run the straps through the door frames.Much more solid and I can see they are tight and ratchet them while driving.
I've done the same... except for the ratcheting while driving! :shocked:

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,914  
except for the ratcheting while driving!

Congrats on your 4000th post. That would be worse than texting while driving since you'd have to reach out or climb out. :D

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,915  
Congrats on your 4000th post. That would be worse than texting while driving since you'd have to reach out or climb out. :D
Wow I didn't notice thanks for pointing out this accomplishment... but what does that get me??? Hope I have contributed more than I have received.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,916  
I took that to mean they had the ratchet inside... accessible from the driver seat.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,917  
I was given some topsoil if I would pick it up. I had a 1970 Pontiac car with a big V8 and also a 8x12' heavy tandem trailer. My friend came along and had a 3/4 ton 4x4 Ford asked if he should pull it and I told him no, I would get it. I didn't want to inconvenience him.

After shoveling a couple feet of dirt on the trailer I decided to drive away. The car groaned quite a bit and but as soon as I hit a bump the trailer hitch dropped off the car to the ground. Then we hooked it to the truck. Embarrassing to say the least.

Well fine on using the truck, but how the heck did you lift the tongue to get it attached to the truck???:confused2:

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,918  
I've done that without problem a number of times. No other way to transport >8ft lumber without a truck or big trailer. Key is not to simply use straps that go side to side over the load but additionally to use a separate ratchet strap that circles the load and compresses it. Having an extra board at the top of the bundle insures that the compression will secure the middle of the pile. I use one compression strap for each bundle of maybe 8-10 lengths of 2x4 so sometimes two or three are needed. The compression straps don't even need to be attached to the vehicle although I do run them under the crossbars if I can. The side to side straps then hold the load just fine.

Of course the guy in the picture just didn't do it as good as you would have.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,919  
I took that to mean they had the ratchet inside... accessible from the driver seat.
Okay but... while driving? Maybe secure the load before moving? :confused3: Not that I haven't conjured up a few Macgyver solutions myself. :D

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #2,920  
When zoomed in, it looks like the screw pin is getting worn down. If this is the case they haven't removed or looked at the hitch in a long time. When ever I insert my hitch to use my two wheel 4'x6', I always check things over.

T.J.

There was a warning that went around a few years ago about kids/gangers/aliens etc that would troll parking lots like HD or Lowes and marinas or bass pros and pull the receiver hitch pins out while the customer was inside.
I pretty well check mine now upon return to the truck.
Why? Just for amusement apparently.