Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #591  
Today I got on the interstate behind a mid - late 90's Ford Explorer that had just left Lowe's.

This guy had about six 4x4 posts sticking out the back and the tail gate was fully raised. Beside the posts were 2 or 3 bags of quick create. It looked like a recipe for disaster and he was having trouble getting up to speed so I passed as quick as I could.

I tried to take a picture with my phone as I passed him but the memory was full.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #592  
Not sure if im the only one not getting this. Was it a pickup truck? If so id think it was not big deal I could haul this amount in my geo metro..
Today I got on the interstate behind a mid - late 90's Ford Explorer that had just left Lowe's.

This guy had about six 4x4 posts sticking out the back and the tail gate was fully raised. Beside the posts were 2 or 3 bags of quick create. It looked like a recipe for disaster and he was having trouble getting up to speed so I passed as quick as I could.

I tried to take a picture with my phone as I passed him but the memory was full.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #593  
Not sure if im the only one not getting this. Was it a pickup truck? If so id think it was not big deal I could haul this amount in my geo metro..

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #594  
Sounds like a Explorer (Ranger sized SUV) with the tailgate all the way open and nothing (other than gravity) holding the posts and sackrete in...

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #595  
Can't explain the difference with the Mythbusters thing anymore than they saw what they saw. The one I saw jumped a heck of a lot more than that. Like everything - you put enough people out there driving enough cars/trucks, and something ugly is bound to happen. Of course, when I think about it more, the Ranger has a lot more ground clearance than that old car, so the drive shaft angle was a lot sharper when it caught. That probably accounts for the main differences. All I know is I will never forget that moment. For once in my life I was looking when that rare event happened... Never saw anything so dramatic before or since. And doubt I ever will.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #596  
BTW, I didn't mean to sound like I was pooh-poohing the experience when I posted the video. Just thought it would be interesting and relevant. Obviously, Mythbusters is far from perfect.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #597  
I missed the significance until I read it again. Ford Explorer has a hatchback ... that was wide open!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #598  
Can't explain the difference with the Mythbusters thing anymore than they saw what they saw. The one I saw jumped a heck of a lot more than that. Like everything - you put enough people out there driving enough cars/trucks, and something ugly is bound to happen. Of course, when I think about it more, the Ranger has a lot more ground clearance than that old car, so the drive shaft angle was a lot sharper when it caught. That probably accounts for the main differences. All I know is I will never forget that moment. For once in my life I was looking when that rare event happened... Never saw anything so dramatic before or since. And doubt I ever will.

I bet the ranger's rear weight is much lighter too. With the increased ground clearance I could see how it could jump higher.

I'm surprised that mythbusters didn't take that "OK what would it take" approach to flipping the car.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #599  
Sorry I didn't give better info. Something came up and I sort of posted an incomplete thought.

:confused2:

Sounds like a Explorer (Ranger sized SUV) with the tailgate all the way open and nothing (other than gravity) holding the posts and sackrete in... Aaron Z

That is correct. The posts stuck out at least three feet and were not tied in. The quick crete was also stacked loose in the back very near the back. On top of all that the tail gate was up wide open with only the gas shocks holding it up.

It wasn't what he was hauling but how it was being hauled that bothered me.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #600  
Some I found on the internet. They may have been posted before. Don't know. Anyway, here they are.

could_end_badly_03.jpg

could_end_badly_20.jpg

could_end_badly_11.jpg

could_end_badly_04.jpg