Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,451  
The last company I worked for was in the process of converting over to all automated transmissions.... Two pedals, mashed down on one to go and it would go through the gears automatically, and use the left one to brake. It reduced the fatigue factor considerably.
I can't tell if this is satire ... ? lol

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,452  
It is absolutely illegal in Nevada. Not because of the width. But, because it is unrestrained from forward movement. Even if you wrapped ratchet straps around it, teh minute you hit the brakes hard that load is snapping them and continuing along it’s merry way. I’ve been to accidents, where the bar was 300-foot down the freeway, stuck in a Toyota.

They first appeared in the Vegas area about 50-years ago. A commercial steel company built them for their crew trucks, so they could haul bar to small jobs, or a bit more bar to a large job, if they didn’t need a whole truck load.

Theirs were engineered, and had stops, tie downs and a twenty foot long base. Actually worked really well. Since then every independent guy who ties bar, has built a poorly thought out imitation.
Me and my brother took a small camp trailer and welded a 6.5 meter truss bed on it to haul length. He used it for copper water pipes, i used it for lengths of steel. Orange side marker lights warned inserying highway traffic for the length. Worked like a charm, but he sold it when he quit plumbing..

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,453  
Did you read automated, or automatic ? He said automated, which is a manual transmission whose gearshifts and clutch are operated by computer. Just like a true manual transmission, it has a much better fuel efficiency than a ZF or Allison planetary automatic transmission with a torque converter in front. Its been around in Europe for 20 years, and by now, a standard Ecosplit gearbox is rarely sold this day and age.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,454  
But otherwise I would have just unhooked the trailer in the parking lot and went through with just the truck.
I had classmates back in the day, who would drive another round through the drive thru so the passenger side could order too... They stuffed a Case MX exhaust pipe under a wee Citroen AX so they couldnt make themself understood from one side anyways 🙈

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,455  
Almost all new tractors are autoshift now. I despise them. I think I may be able to keep my 10 speed manual until I retire. I have a lot of seniority. There are battles over the manual trucks now. Autoshift trucks are unsafe at roundabouts and cross streets starting at a stop sign. The delay to go has caused 2 crashes at our terminal already.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,456  
Did you read automated, or automatic ? He said automated, which is a manual transmission whose gearshifts and clutch are operated by computer. Just like a true manual transmission, it has a much better fuel efficiency than a ZF or Allison planetary automatic transmission with a torque converter in front. Its been around in Europe for 20 years, and by now, a standard Ecosplit gearbox is rarely sold this day and age.
I read automated, like he typed it. I just meant satire in regards to his final sentences about how "you hit one pedal to go, and the other pedal to brake". As in a gas pedal and brake pedal like every other vehicle has lol. I haven't driven any large trucks with a trans like this, but plenty of DCT and DSG automobiles. They can be pretty good, definitely more efficient. But the lag off the line when starting is pretty awful sometimes too.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,457  
I read automated, like he typed it. I just meant satire in regards to his final sentences about how "you hit one pedal to go, and the other pedal to brake". As in a gas pedal and brake pedal like every other vehicle has lol. I haven't driven any large trucks with a trans like this, but plenty of DCT and DSG automobiles. They can be pretty good, definitely more efficient. But the lag off the line when starting is pretty awful sometimes too.
Seem's like that would be programable. I know my subaru automatic had a lag that took some getting used to. Had some work done on the transmission and while they were at it, updated the shifting points or something. Anyway, it shifts much better, little to no lag.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,458  
Must be a large family.
IMG_1649.JPG

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,459  
The last company I worked for was in the process of converting over to all automated transmissions. With the kind of driving we did it was a good move, all very short hauls in city and county road traffic. Two pedals, mashed down on one to go and it would go through the gears automatically, and use the left one to brake. It reduced the fatigue factor considerably.
Lots of companies are going automatic (not automated), mine has been for about 6 yrs.
The government here still insists on manuals and I agree, but yeah, it's nice not having to put your coffee down to run through gears leaving a light. Other than that, I would prefer a manual. Even in the city.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,460  
Not a truck, but - I chose A/T over manual when I bought the 99 Subaru Outback. Because, you can get up to an obstacle and very delicately nudge it to climb over the obstacle using the torque converter to apply just the right amount of power. This is more effective than the three M/T Jeeps then a Trooper I used previously to get in to our remote mining claim, or more important, to climb the grade to get back out. Because those needed a little bit of forward inertia for the tires to climb a vertical surface without stalling.

Attachments

• PIC00516ClaimDriveway99.jpg
    PIC00516ClaimDriveway99.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 5,953
wagon_washout-jpg.237027