Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,471  
True for the 1/2 tons but still available on 3/4 and larger
Nothing available from Ford or GM for a while, Ram was the last holdout and dropped manuals a couple years ago on the trucks.

End of an era.
GM was '08
Ford '11
Ram '19

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,473  
Nothing available from Ford or GM for a while, Ram was the last holdout and dropped manuals a couple years ago on the trucks.

End of an era.
GM was '08
Ford '11
Ram '19
Sad to see them go. Hadn't looked at the larger trucks for awhile so I retract my prior statement about manual transmissons

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,474  
Are they CVT with belts, or something else?

They're computer controlled, super fast shifting, and probably integrate throttle control in the shifting action so that there's not a ton to notice between shifts. "Don't feel them shifting" is probably overstating it, but it's nothing like an older 3- or 4- speed unit.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,475  
20 or so years ago I was told "only 10% of new truck buyers want manual transmissions." That was long before the 10 speed came out. Since new car buyers dictate what's on the used market...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,476  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,477  
I haven't looked but maybe in the 450 / 4500 or larger they still offer them as they are considered medium duty trucks. But then semi tractors don't have them anymore either. Which I hate.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,478  
In 2006, I bought a new Jeep Wrangler Sport. I wanted a manual. Could only find one in St. Louis, about 250 miles away. I took Amtrak there and drove it home. I guess I should post it's picture and and call it an "antique" of past history. Back in those days, I never had an automatic that did not need to be rebuilt. But the new trucks are a whole different world - Much better, I think - I sure hope. I have a 2019 and a 2021 Ram truck. Both with the heavy rear end. That option with the trailer package also changes the transmission. In Tow Mode, it seems to change the gearing of the transmission for heavy loads. I guess I will never live long enough to buy another manual. Sad.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,479  
In 2006, I bought a new Jeep Wrangler Sport. I wanted a manual. Could only find one in St. Louis, about 250 miles away. I took Amtrak there and drove it home.
That's funny. I did the same thing, took Amtrak out to Chicago where the dealers compete pretty fiercely, to buy my Volkswagen Alltrack manual-trans. Got it for 6 grand off msrp, significant % for a small car. Last of the manual-trans sport wagons!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,480  
For years I couldn't keep an automatic transmission in a pickup; partly because of hard use driving in deep snow, but also because 90's vintage transmissions were junk. Even now the tranny in my company 2018 Silverado is dicey, even though it's only got around 130K miles on it.