Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,562  
I hit an extension ladder laying lengthways in LA on the I-5 with my motorcycle, pulling a small m/c trailer while vacationing in California while touring on my Harley. Morning traffic was 'stop and haul-ass' running from -0- to 70 to 70 to -0-, constantly. I was following my spouse on her m/c in unbelievable rush-hour traffic.

My m/c and trailer went airborne when I hit the first rung. Miraculously I was doing the '70' and cleared the last rung with the trailer just barely hitting that one. My landing just happened to be about as fortunate as possible. All was well, except that huge brown spot in my britches.

I'll never forget that experience but I can put it aside with hitting a mattress while on my m/c in Houston on the I-610 and dodging a shovel falling off of a landscape trailer in Houston on the Pierce Elevated.

There no excuse for allowing loads to be transported without properly securing them. Sure - one may have to stop occasionally to check their loads, but please - consider the unsuspecting traveler behind you. You may save a life!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,563  
I hit an extension ladder laying lengthways in LA on the I-5 with my motorcycle, pulling a small m/c trailer while vacationing in California while touring on my Harley. Morning traffic was 'stop and haul-ass' running from -0- to 70 to 70 to -0-, constantly. I was following my spouse on her m/c in unbelievable rush-hour traffic.

My m/c and trailer went airborne when I hit the first rung. Miraculously I was doing the '70' and cleared the last rung with the trailer just barely hitting that one. My landing just happened to be about as fortunate as possible. All was well, except that huge brown spot in my britches.

I'll never forget that experience but I can put it aside with hitting a mattress while on my m/c in Houston on the I-610 and dodging a shovel falling off of a landscape trailer in Houston on the Pierce Elevated.

There no excuse for allowing loads to be transported without properly securing them. Sure - one may have to stop occasionally to check their loads, but please - consider the unsuspecting traveler behind you. You may save a life!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,564  
That's funny. I did the same thing, took Amtrak out to Chicago where the dealers compete pretty fiercely, to buy my Volkswagen Alltrack manual-trans. Got it for 6 grand off msrp, significant % for a small car. Last of the manual-trans sport wagons!
me too. i took a train from milwaukee to chicago to buy my first new car, a 1979 honda civic. they ran out of allocation so they told me i was first on the list for 1980 civic, at an increased price.

I objected. The sales guy told me, politely but without any room for misunderstanding, if you don't want this car i can sell it to the next 10 people who walk thru the door.

i took the car, first of many honda's over the years.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,565  
Not towing, but I lost my f250 to a driver on the wrong side of the road, and high on drugs. I just found out the she had run another truck into the ditch a few miles before me. Head on, totaled my truck. I had just purchased a new land plane and had it loaded in the back for my truck, but at the last minute I noticed that the blades on the land plane had no angle. They took it out of my truck. It might have come into the back seat if it had been there. Front hit, but cracked the skid plate around my gas tank. Broke the back shocks. I am being told they will give me cash value, not replacement. Prices here are plus $10,000 about bluebook, if you can find one. Also seeing doctor due to shoulder and neck. How do they leave people like this on the highway. I think she had at lease 2 DUI, as well as some drugs.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,566  
I could see it being considered negligent homicide if laws regarding the securing of equipment were broken, or reckless homicide (if he's been cited before).

Regardless, it's involuntary homicide, and he should be tried for that - even if he doesn't get jail, this needs to follow him - his actions directly resulted in someone dying.
Shocked that your location is california :rolleyes:

Is this horrible? Yes. Should he be liable for damages? Probably. Should he get a felony on his record for something falling off his truck? We don't have enough information to decide.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,567  
Not towing, but I lost my f250 to a driver on the wrong side of the road, and high on drugs. I just found out the she had run another truck into the ditch a few miles before me. Head on, totaled my truck. I had just purchased a new land plane and had it loaded in the back for my truck, but at the last minute I noticed that the blades on the land plane had no angle. They took it out of my truck. It might have come into the back seat if it had been there. Front hit, but cracked the skid plate around my gas tank. Broke the back shocks. I am being told they will give me cash value, not replacement. Prices here are plus $10,000 about bluebook, if you can find one. Also seeing doctor due to shoulder and neck. How do they leave people like this on the highway. I think she had at lease 2 DUI, as well as some drugs.
Glad you survived it!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,568  

Sorry to hear of this misfortune. You were blessed that you survived to tell about it.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,569  
Shocked that your location is california :rolleyes:

Is this horrible? Yes. Should he be liable for damages? Probably. Should he get a felony on his record for something falling off his truck? We don't have enough information to decide.
I know it's strange, but I think if you do something that results in killing someone, you shouldn't be allowed to do it any more.
He killed someone.
If it was "accidental", that's the breaks - he shouldn't be able to drive any more regardless.
Hitch a ride with someone else, whatever.
I don't believe in giving someone a second chance to kill people the same way.

I also don't think people who drive drunk should ever get to drive again.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that neither these opinions aren't particularly widely held in California; I think it's more a product of your own vision that makes you jump to conclusions in this regard - most people seem to think that Californians just bend over backwards for miscreants, don't they?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,570  
I know it's strange, but I think if you do something that results in killing someone, you shouldn't be allowed to do it any more.
He killed someone.
If it was "accidental", that's the breaks - he shouldn't be able to drive any more regardless.
Hitch a ride with someone else, whatever.
I don't believe in giving someone a second chance to kill people the same way.

I also don't think people who drive drunk should ever get to drive again.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that neither these opinions aren't particularly widely held in California; I think it's more a product of your own vision that makes you jump to conclusions in this regard - most people seem to think that Californians just bend over backwards for miscreants, don't they?
FWIW my best friend and another friend died on my 16th birthday when a guy hit him. he blew a .05 so not "DUI". Eight years later same guy hit a family of five and killed the mother and a daughter, again blowing below the legal limit. Trust me, I don't think he should still be breathing let alone driving. But that's different, he took an action then made a decision to further endanger others even after past experience.

My feelings are much different about the above than something falling off a truck which we know nothing about. Did a strap break? Did a co-worker throw it on top of the load as the driver was pulling away from the jobsite? Or maybe the tool broke and half the tool is still properly secured to the truck. We don't know so how can we call for blood? I guarantee this guy isn't sleeping well already. Let the professionals take a look and see what, if any, charges are applicable. I'm sure you're perfect and have never had an accident, and absolutely never done anything deliberately, but I recommend less rushing to judgment of others who are possibly just human.