Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,741  
I would expect a lot longer wait than 1/2 hour before a response in the places that I work. It might take 2-4 times that long just to get out far enough to make a phone call.

Years ago I was walking back to my truck when a young woman pulled up and asked my if I had a cell phone; she'd been hiking with her father and he'd fallen about 150 feet onto a frozen river. That was before lunchtime... it was nearly 4:00 that afternoon before the cavalry arrived.
Yeah similar at our mining claim deep in the Sierras. We heard someone calling help. He had run a half hour from the claim up the creek. Told us his daughter was bleeding from a chainsaw injury and his truck wouldn't start. His camp and ours were the only people in at least 20 miles. We immediately gave him the Wagoneer key to take her to Quincy, over an hour on logging skid trails out to the pavement but no civilization there, then similar to the clinic. We were left without a vehicle but we trusted him.

Next day we heard the story. This idiot had asked his daughter to hold a sheet of plywood while he chainsawed it in half. As he completed the cut he raised the saw into her arm. The clinic had stitched her muscles back together, later we learned it wasn't a permanent disability but she had enlisted as soon as she was old enough, to get away from the crazy.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,742  
Train vs dump truck
This is about fifteen miles from our farm. Very sad event. That crossing was slated for upgrade, but it hadn’t happened, yet. My son is a BNSF engineer and runs KC to Galesburg. It’s the main line from KC to Chicago. One track is open.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,743  
My son made the run from Galesburg to KC today. He said that crossing is elevated about twenty feet and visibly is pretty bad, both from the road and the rails.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,744  
Are these pre-made track sections or just piles of ties?

iu

The dump truck is still there, but the train must be further down the track I guess. Even this shot doesn't shown the grade elevation.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,745  
Those are pre-assembled sections of new rails and ties to lay down.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,746  
Looks like part of what makes that crossing so dangerous is that it isn't at right angles. You would need to twist your head around extremely, to look for a train coming that is moving nearly parallel to you.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,747  
My son said Amtrak runs 90 MPH through there.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,749  
2D21C13E-F09A-4724-88D9-1840D87004E0.jpeg

My son sent this to me. I don’t know who he got it from.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,750  
Is that the Amtrak crash situation? Do those passenger cars really weigh enough to require a truck with that many axles? They're basically just a big empty can with seats.