Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,031  
I failed the pre trip twice and not because I didn’t know my way around the truck. The test is extremely detail oriented. I lost points for not describing in detail how to check the oil apposed to just showing them where the dipstick was, I lost points for telling them my fire extinguisher and safety reflectors were behind the seat vs telling them I had a minimum size 10bc fire extinguisher with an in date inspection stamp and at minimum 3 whatever size they’re supposed to be reflectors. I lost points for just turning on the defroster to check it vs feeling for the air to come out. I lost points for not putting my seatbelt on immediately after getting in the truck. I did put it on before the truck ever moved. And probably the leading reason I failed is I listed the wrong air leak down rates for the brakes. I actually listed the correct rate for a combination vehicle but since my trailer was electric brakes they said the rate for a straight truck applied. They weren’t technically wrong but it’s only 1 psi difference and the air gauge in my truck has like 10 psi graduate marks that aren’t precise enough to read 1 psi. The instructor also got mad that I was driving too fast in the parking lot. I never shifted out of 1st gear for the entire parking lot section and f the test. I also lost points for changing gears while going across intersections. They weren’t technically wrong on that either but driving the entire length of the intersection in 1st gear isn’t feasible. Once I made it to the driving section on the 3rd trip I passed it the first try.
And none of that would have made you an unsafe driver. It's just stupid.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,032  
I got the minimum passing score last time, on the DL written exam. Didn't know the $-amount of traffic fines for various tickets, guessed every one wrong.

Got everything else right.

I hope this doesn't affect my insurance rate.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,033  
Got my class A in southern CA over 20 yrs ago. Driving test was pretty extensive as I recall. Auto fail if you put the trailer tires on the curb. I'll never forget DMV tester had me take a right turn down a street with road construction couldn't make that turn without taking out traffic barrels and construction signs stopped and told him I can't make it. He got out of truck directed the line of traffic behind me so I could reposition the truck and trailer to make that turn I passed but barely really wished that trailer had student driver embossed all over it lol. Pretrip test all I remember is them emphasizing inspecting the air lines and slack adjusters.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,034  
I put jackstands at the back of the trailer underneath where the ramps are. And I always park on the level when loading the tractor
I sold the tractor a few years ago. So currently the heaviest piece of equipment I've had on the trailer is my zero turn

For the past 1.5 years the trailer has been stored at my son's house while we have been in the rental.

He's used it a few times to haul firewood.

That's fixing to change in a few months when we get out on our property.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,035  
Yeah I also was grandfathered in. But the schools are not very good. I am the trainer at our place and fail most of them on the drive test. The ones we do hire I find a lot of what they were taught only works in optimal conditions. Get them somewhere tight and they are lost.
I've had quite a few 3rd party haulers come through our shop that scare the living sh#t out of me

I can't see how they passed the practical if they can't hook up trailer lights and air lines

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,036  
749521-2b750ea4b85395df5187ebb1d492446c.png

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,037  
I got the minimum passing score last time, on the DL written exam. Didn't know the $-amount of traffic fines for various tickets, guessed every one wrong.

Got everything else right.

I hope this doesn't affect my insurance rate.
I couldn't tell you what the fines are for driving offenses either. I do know fines double in construction and school zones.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,038  
I can't see how they passed the practical if they can't hook up trailer lights and air lines
emoji848.png
emoji848.png
emoji848.png

"That's Billy Bob's job back at the depot. I just drive."

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,039  
"That's Billy Bob's job back at the depot. I just drive."
Yup, They just forfeited their load out of my shop though

Had two drivers show up to the shop to pick up a couple frac tanks to haul to Texas to the factory for refurb.

Told my boss if I ever have drivers like those two again, they forfeit their loads and the broker can send someone else.

First driver got latched under the tank. Looked at me and asked "Your gonna do the hookup and pretrip???".

I said "Nope.... I'm not a cdl driver, and not gonna tank responsibility if you drop the trailer out on the interstate"

She was so fat, she couldn't climb up onto the back of her truck to hook up the lights and airlines. Told her she needed to invest in a step ladder since her truck doesn't have steps to access the back. Loaned her a step ladder.

Went to get the other truck hooked up. This one backed under without issue. Got out of her truck, walked back and yanked the king pin release after I removed the stands I whipped out 18,000lb forklift to the back of the tank and parked it against it to keep it from rolling back.

In the mean time Fatty is in a panic on how she's gonna get the truck hooked up so she can leave (I loaned her a 6ft step ladder so she could climb up and hook up her sh#t). She's interrupted me several times while I'm trying to get the other driver hooked up.

Then with the second driver unmatched from the tank, I'm fixing to completely and utterly lose my ever living mind

At this point our CDL driver rolls in. I get him to assist the driver that disconnected the tank, to get hooked back up. (He ended up connecting it for her)

And I go over and hold fatties hand so she can get hooked up and out of my hair

She gets hooked up and none of her lights work I go and grab my test box and hook up to the trailer. I realize it's her lights that aren't working.

Our driver assists her in finding the fuses. (She can't reach) And we finally get her out.

The next morning I raised holy h#ll with my boss. He got our safety director involved as well as load center and broker.

I told him that if the driver doesn't seem competent in the basics, they forfeit the load and I won't allow them to leave. I'm not gonna deal with or put up with that cluster that we had the day before.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,040  
Yup, They just forfeited their load out of my shop though

Had two drivers show up to the shop to pick up a couple frac tanks to haul to Texas to the factory for refurb.

Told my boss if I ever have drivers like those two again, they forfeit their loads and the broker can send someone else.

First driver got latched under the tank. Looked at me and asked "Your gonna do the hookup and pretrip???".

I said "Nope.... I'm not a cdl driver, and not gonna tank responsibility if you drop the trailer out on the interstate"

She was so fat, she couldn't climb up onto the back of her truck to hook up the lights and airlines. Told her she needed to invest in a step ladder since her truck doesn't have steps to access the back. Loaned her a step ladder.

Went to get the other truck hooked up. This one backed under without issue. Got out of her truck, walked back and yanked the king pin release after I removed the stands I whipped out 18,000lb forklift to the back of the tank and parked it against it to keep it from rolling back.

In the mean time Fatty is in a panic on how she's gonna get the truck hooked up so she can leave (I loaned her a 6ft step ladder so she could climb up and hook up her sh#t). She's interrupted me several times while I'm trying to get the other driver hooked up.

Then with the second driver unmatched from the tank, I'm fixing to completely and utterly lose my ever living mind

At this point our CDL driver rolls in. I get him to assist the driver that disconnected the tank, to get hooked back up. (He ended up connecting it for her)

And I go over and hold fatties hand so she can get hooked up and out of my hair

She gets hooked up and none of her lights work I go and grab my test box and hook up to the trailer. I realize it's her lights that aren't working.

Our driver assists her in finding the fuses. (She can't reach) And we finally get her out.

The next morning I raised holy h#ll with my boss. He got our safety director involved as well as load center and broker.

I told him that if the driver doesn't seem competent in the basics, they forfeit the load and I won't allow them to leave. I'm not gonna deal with or put up with that cluster that we had the day before.
Probably only had driver training by a fly by night driving school using a leased truck and van trailer with no time spent on load securing or hooking up a trailer imo.