Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,631  
Thats why the Merc Sprinter (and any other vehicle in the same weight class i have been around when i worked in body construction) has a load adjuster, which adjusts rear axle brake force to the load (spring deflection)
1986 VW Golf too, but only the premium version, not the base model I had. Was a variable proportioning valve attached to the rear suspension.

After a couple near misses with brakes on the VW I added ABS to the essential list for next vehicle. Bought 1993.5 Infiniti G20 5-speed. Perhaps the best car I have ever owned. The 4-wheel ABS was perfect by every means I could tell.

The G20 had two faults: the wonderful 2.0L engine had electronic ignition but still had a distributor. Distributor cap was expensive. The factory wheel alignment specs for rear wheels were great for track performance specs to compare with BMW 3-series but awful for tire wear. Fortunately no matter camber was not supposed to be adjustable on the rear it adjusted the same way as the VW front. Rear strut clamped to hub casting with 2 bolts same as VW. Enough slop in those bolt holes to adjust.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,632  
I remember about 25 years ago GM started putting rear wheel only ABS on pickup trucks to deal with the situation of braking with no load in the bed. "But it has ABS!"
My Dakotas had that. Talk about a scary ride on snow!!!! I finally learned to run in 4WD if there was even a slight snow cover on the ground. Simliar to the rears on a 4WD tractor, the front brakes would slow or stop both axles.
What happened to the original thread ?
It will come back, just as it always does. People just need to take some pictures of towing wrong.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,633  
ok so you wants some pictures, I do believe this trailer was hauled wrong before I loaded it on my trailer and yes that was a 4 leaf spring before.
20230718_065714.jpg20230718_065728.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,634  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,636  
Ouch!!! They either had it overloaded or the springs were tired. It looks like something you can easily fix up and use, however.
Nah, it's not the springs fault, the nut is still on the spindle but the hub is missing, they've neglected to add grease to the wheel bearings for many many miles, the tire exited the situation then they continued to drive for long enough to wear through the backing plate, U bolts and the springs left the situation too...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,637  
Nah, it's not the springs fault, the nut is still on the spindle but the hub is missing, they've neglected to add grease to the wheel bearings for many many miles, the tire exited the situation then they continued to drive for long enough to wear through the backing plate, U bolts and the springs left the situation too...
you nailed it that is exactly what happened, I replaced the missing hub, springs and tires had to repair the wiring also.

20230719_092457.jpg Look closely and you can see that the metal got so hot it melted the wire going to the tail light.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,638  
Pictures?
Towing rebar while straddling it to bring it all the way to the forms.
No tight turns!

Attachments

• tow.jpg
    tow.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 155
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,640