Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,972  
That's a very odd generalization. While I'm sure there are some folks who think that way, that vast majority of people I know who tow are well aware of 10-15% tongue weight rule and at least attempt to honor it. I don't think I've ever encountered anyone whose mindset was "as much tongue weight as I can get".
Well, we have seen such posts here.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,973  
Made me wince. I cut my teeth at a drafting table working for Chicago Bridge & Iron. Every weld got bevels. CBI standards only permitted the most rudimentary weld symbols, all welds got a cross section drawing explicitly showing the bevels, depth, flat in the center, and a sacrificial pass in the center before the final pass outside and inside. Then again a 1" plate was thin for what we were doing.
I design (among others) excavator chassis for high reach demolition rigs. Thickest flange i used so far was 4"
For booms we like full bevel on longitudinal welds too, just to avoid the fatigue crack initiation point in the root of a simple corner weld.

About this time a platform collapsed in a hotel, in Missouri I believe. Revelers were dancing on a platform about the 3rd story that had another platform hanging from it on the 1st or 2nd above street level.
I know the case, it often appears on Discovery Channel s "Engineering disasters" "seconds from disaster" or anything such.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,974  
Sure, install HD shocks and springs on the rear of a Subaru just to occasionally tow 2000 pounds! When properly balancing the trailer gets the job done without shocks, springs, or bandaids such as "weight" distributing hitches (which do not distribute any weight, only loads).
My trailer weighs 2000 pounds empty... :)

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,975  
I think there is a pretty good percentage of people who tow with absolutely no clue……
Totally true, but the lack of clue doesn't mean they migrate towards "all the tongue weight I can get". My statement is about the lack of experience I've seen justifying that generalization.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,976  
Well, we have seen such posts here.
And this is a tiny microcosm of America. Have you encountered a lot of people in real life that "love them a lot of tongue weight"?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,977  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,978  
And this is a tiny microcosm of America. Have you encountered a lot of people in real life that "love them a lot of tongue weight"?

1696361268757.png

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,979  
Overestimating the intelligence of the public is not at all the same as saying that "in general Americans like to use excessive tongue weight on their trailers". A lot of people aren't great at trailering but I still know nobody who thinks "tons of tongue weight is best".

Is it really hard to grasp the concept without steering off into the ditch? Wait, don't answer that... this is tractorbynet so obviously it is.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,980  
I design (among others) excavator chassis for high reach demolition rigs. Thickest flange i used so far was 4"
For booms we like full bevel on longitudinal welds too, just to avoid the fatigue crack initiation point in the root of a simple corner weld.
A flange in nuclear/oil work is a pipe fitting. Largest that comes to mind was 36". What makes it memorable was that I had to come up with a pivoting arm to hold the blind flange used to seal this service manhole. Opened out the side of a vessel. They wanted a permanent mini-crane. Forget now how much the blind flange weighed, at least 1000 pounds.

I used to be a student of the Taylor Forge catalog.