Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,311  
12 year old steals telehandler, goes on joyride, hitting 10 cars.

My town. :) Kid stole the machine right from behind my mother-in-law's house.

He went at least a dozen miles before quitting! Ok, so he bumped into ~10 cars, but for a 12-year old piloting a 35k lb machine, thats pretty good work overall.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,312  
Ok, so he bumped into ~10 cars, but for a 12-year old piloting a 35k lb machine, thats pretty good work overall.
Spoken almost like a proud father! :D

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,313  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,314  
I would say cause is at best conjecture due to lack of strong evidence either way because video is lacking

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,315  
The video is inconclusive. But news said he was attempting to turn right, into a freeway onramp. Looking at the two videos available it appears he was already up on two wheels when he and the patrol car collided. Intentional? I think we need to hear the cop's testimony.

And his insurance isn't likely to repair/replace the tractor. That was an expensive protest!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,316  
> Intentional? I think we need to hear the cop's testimony.

are you sure you're from California? lol

Going through the video frame by frame it seems to be that the tractor was moving straight down the road and at this point:
1701197049461.png

the cop tucked his car in next to the tractor causing the tire to climb the vehicle
1701197150017.png

with the end result we've all seen

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,317  
Was it really worth the risk to life and the huge cost of destruction (to the tractor and the public-funded police vehicle to intervene like that? What a waste.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,318  
Was it really worth the risk to life and the huge cost of destruction (to the tractor and the public-funded police vehicle to intervene like that? What a waste.
Gut feeling says no, but I don't know if he'd hit any cars along the way or not. Most likely no, because a tall narrow heavy vehicle doesn't stay upright at speed by hitting things to the side, but none of the reports I've seen (and honestly I haven't looked into the background of this event!) have mentioned "why were they chasing him in the first place"?

IMO you cause a crash to stop a chase if one or more of
- the suspect is 'armed & dangerous' (like, weapons - guns - and has used them during the event)
- there's a real chance that they could get away and disappear
- you don't know who they are to find them later
- they're causing a mess and you can't stop them any other way
Possibly he did the last, but they definitely knew who he was, a big tractor isn't going to disappear (follow at a reasonable distance and wait for him to stop, no he's not going to go for 12h, probably was going back to the farm, even if it was all day it would still be cheaper than one wrecked car)

You don't cause a crash just because he won't stop, or you'd tip that telehandler with the 12-year-old.

My guess is that this is typical police overreach, but I'm waiting with bated breath to hear what good reasons they've got for this.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,319  
Going through the video frame by frame it seems to be that the tractor was moving straight down the road
One of the news reports said he turned right, toward an onramp - shown in this photo. Clearly he climbed over the patrol car's front wheel but I don't see anything conclusive that this was intentional by either of them. Let's see what the cop has to say.

Surrey-Tractor-Crash-SOGI-Protest-2.jpg