Sharpened blades on mower deck

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #11  
Yall actually check the lb specs on the mower blade? lol

I'm a little OCD with this kind of thing. I always try to go by specs when possible. Plus it justifies those torque wrench purchases. Not applicable here though, as I've never seen a torque wrench that will do 450! They might exist at NASA, but I'm sure they are extremely pricey!

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #12  
I have never torqued a mower blade in my life and never had one loosen off. I use a 3/8 drive CP impact and just hammer it till the bolt quits turning (about 3 seconds after tight). The 3/8" impact with 90 PSI wont over tighten and gets the bolts loose easily.
I have to sharpen my blades about ever other mowing due to lots of crawfish mounds and rocks beating them up. I bought 2 sets when I got my Ferris 3 years ago and are still using them.

The lift tabs will wear out on blades prior to the cutting edge wearing down too much in my use due to the sand and crawfish mounds. I have actually did base metal build up with 7018 rods on the thinned spots (right where they bend upward) on the lift tabs and got another year of use out of them. It took me about an hour to weld up /balance the three blades but I have more time than money since retiring.

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #13  
I'm no expert, but find a Kubota MMM deck blade mount bolt recommendation of 450 ft lbs torque ..............way off. Hum-m-m. Maybe I'm wrong for the first time in my life.:D

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #14  
I'm no expert, but find a Kubota MMM deck blade mount bolt recommendation of 450 ft lbs torque ..............way off. Hum-m-m. Maybe I'm wrong for the first time in my life.:D

I'm guessing these high torque specs were misapplied to mower blades instead of brush hog blades.

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #15  

Maybe inch lbs?

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #16  
This may not be your exact mower but it may be close enough for government work.

Attachments

• Capture mower Mod..JPG
    Capture mower Mod..JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Capture blade torque.JPG
    Capture blade torque.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 273
   / Sharpened blades on mower deck #17  

You can sleep well. Just found a manual online for RCK60 and mower blade screw torque is 72.3-86.8ft/lbs. Guess I shouldn't believe everything I read on the interwebs.

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck
Why not just change the blades while your going through the trouble? Once the lift on the blade is warn down they can be sharp as possible but still not cut... or did you have a lot of rock dinks and whatnot in them?

I change blades when I MUST, not when they just need to be sharpened.

And they were in good shape, no damage just not very sharp.

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck
And I'm not worried about how much torque I applied when re-installing the blades. They'll stay on just fine.

I was Bitc**n about how **** tight they were from the factory. I guess I shouldn't complain - they didn't fly off on their own and I was able to get them off with some persuasion.

My father had a VW Rabbit that had wheels attached with bolts (not studs and lug nuts). The factory tightened those bolts down to some extreme level. The ONLY way to get them loose the first time was to smack the end of the bolt with a 4 pound sledge hammer and then use a 6 point socket, breaker bar and a 6' + section of pipe. I don't know what you were supposed to do if you got a flat tire before you had broken those things loose for the first time.
That was a lesson learned. Every time I get a "new to me" vehicle the first thing I do is make sure the jack works and all of the lug nuts can be removed with the tire iron. After I break them loose the first time I apply a little grease and use a torque wrench to put them back on. Never had a problem after that.

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #20  

My Kubota 54" MMM deck has a torque spec of 75 ft lbs. Plus I use anti seize on the bolt threads. I've not had to use anything but a 16" 1/2 drive breaker bar to get them off.

If I were you, I'd double check that torque spec again.

Dave