Sharpening wrong

/ Sharpening wrong #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
So I did some noodling that last couple of days. Larger rounds that are a little too much for me to lift on my splitter. Yesterday it was cutting O.K. but a mix of sawdust and chips, no nice big noodles but it was cutting decent. I had just sharpened the chain to. So I checked the rakers and they were a little high and I filed them down. So today I did some more, first cut was one that was cut most of the way through yesterday so I flipped it over and finished the cut by working up from cut, in other words cutting up instead of down. I got nice big noodles and it cut great. Then i started a new one and it seemed I was making sawdust again cutting down.

Not sure if I am making a mistake sharpening. It almost seems to noodle better lifting up. It seems to make normal cross cuts fine. Stihl MS 261.

The pic is from yesterday and is about all the noodles I got. 3406A545-09BF-4E64-8F81-4FE2290DCBFF.jpegDC056D41-6B8E-4574-8E64-EE300A387AE0.jpeg

/ Sharpening wrong #2  
Are you cutting across the top like they’re laying in the picture or cutting along the bark side? It works a lot better cutting with the grain vs the end grain.

/ Sharpening wrong #3  
My noodle saw was sharpened very sharp with a file and the rakers ground way down. It was the way I got the saw as it was a free Husky 261. Way too aggressive for normal cutting but noodled great. It left big stringy piles of bedding for rabbits. The bar was wore so I have since replaced bar/chain so I miss the ability to quickly noodle.:(

/ Sharpening wrong
Are you cutting across the top like they’re laying in the picture or cutting along the bark side? It works a lot better cutting with the grain vs the end grain.

I’m not sure what your asking. The first picture shows how I cut them, just like they are sitting.

/ Sharpening wrong #5  
Chainsaws blades are normally desighned for cutting accross wood grain , not for "ripping". I've never known a professional that used the same saw for both. If you were to ask me,2lane cruiser or fred about "noodling",we would think you were capturing catfish with your bare hands.:laughing:

/ Sharpening wrong #6  
Deleted.

/ Sharpening wrong
I agree but people do use them for cutting with the grain. I have done it before and you get long chips, hence the term noodling.

/ Sharpening wrong #8  
I’m not sure what your asking. The first picture shows how I cut them, just like they are sitting.

Try flipping them on their side and cutting that way. It works a lot better that way.

/ Sharpening wrong
Try flipping them on their side and cutting that way. It works a lot better that way.

Now I understand what you are saying, I was a little slow on the up take, thanks for the tip.