Sharpening wrong

/ Sharpening wrong #11  
Yeah, it's not noodling unless you cut on the side. You'll see a huge mess of noodles as it pulls out the length of grain rather than cutting the ends of the grain off. :thumbsup:

/ Sharpening wrong
I do not think they make special chains for it. I did this a few months ago and had better luck with it and I probably came at it from the side. My goal is not to get the long noodles but to cut it the easiest way but I suspect they go hand in hand.. Of course now I am done but I will remember next time.

/ Sharpening wrong #13  
I do not think they make special chains for it. I did this a few months ago and had better luck with it and I probably came at it from the side. My goal is not to get the long noodles but to cut it the easiest way but I suspect they go hand in hand.. Of course now I am done but I will remember next time.

The long shaving tend to plug the discharge but it cuts way faster.

/ Sharpening wrong #14  
Dave, I bet they make a chains to cut with the grain.

I believe what you are referring to is called ripping chain. Used with the chainsaw style sawmills. Normally a full chisel type chain that is sharpened at a 10 degree angle as opposed to the normal 25 degree used on full chisel style chains. years ago that made a ripping style chain that had fang type side rippers and I remember correctly the cutters where sharpened straight across.

/ Sharpening wrong #15  
Most of the ripping chains are also "skip tooth" which allows more space for the noodles (new term to me) to clear the cut.

/ Sharpening wrong
No more than I do this I probably won’t get a special chain for it.

/ Sharpening wrong #17  
No more than I do this I probably won’t get a special chain for it.

There’s no need for a special chain if you cut from the side.

/ Sharpening wrong
I’ve got one more round I will probably cut in half tomorrow just to try it. It’s pretty big but I could probably get it up on the splitter but I will practice on it.

/ Sharpening wrong #20  
When noodling, the angle of the bar (just a few degrees either way) can mean the difference between dust and noodles. That is normal behavior. In fact, you can take advantage of that by gently changing the angle while cutting. The dust will help clear out noodles from the clutch cover and keep it from getting plugged.

Of the dozens of saws I have owned, the 261 was by far the worst at noodling. Just too tight under the clutch cover compared to the saw's power and ability.